Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

|DIY| Removing Tint (Rear Window)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hi, I dont know if this diy has been done but i'v seen so many members asking about taking tint off in the noob thread so i decided to do one , plus my rear window has some cheap tint on car and its bubbled up and makes it blurry and hard to look out the back window when im driving, soo i decided to find ways to remove the tint myself..i tryed using a heat gun but i found a more easyer ways to take it off with out putting to much heat on the window.

aim: To take tint off the window

tools:razor blade,steamer or a ironer (anything that can make steam),window cleaner and newspaper.

this is how it looked befor i started

steps:
    1/Find the edge of the tint that you can start peeling from, im doing the back window so for me i started at the bottom and worked my way up, whatever easyer for you i guess, if you cant get the tint use the steamer/iron and apply heaps of steam (15sec should do it) on the section your doing it til the tint go's soft.

2/once you have got a hold of the tint carefully not to pull it to hard because if it rips you might havent to do step one agin.
    now while pulling the tint off slowly add some steam under the bit thats coming off, this will make the tint come off faster and you will avoid riping the bit your tearing off. At times you will rip small bits off and if u keep applying the right amount of steam you will get big pieces of the tint off.

3/If the tint is not comming off use the razor blade to help u take the tint off by pushing the blad under the tint do this while pulling on the tint, remember to apply steam. If doing the rear window of your car avoid using the razor blade around the elements (the brown lines).

4/after getting all the tint off, the tint will leave a sticky surface on the window, spray window cleaner all over the sticky bits and wipe with the newspaper to get all the sticky surface off.

FINISH!!

Last edited by EK1_D; 11-12-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    powpoW

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    i say nice try, but that others should really take it to a professional to get removed. you dont want to cause more troubel than its worth.
    ++ mrwillz fan club ++

Member Array
    very good DIY
    was looking for one of these before i got mine tinted but never found one, and learnt anyway watching the guy do it,

be noted that taking off tinting on the side mirrors would be exactally the same minus the elements!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by philBo View Post
    i say nice try, but that others should really take it to a professional to get removed. you dont want to cause more troubel than its worth.
    didnt cause me problems..
    powpoW

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic ED Sedan
    thanks ther buddy, ive tried ur technique n its so easy.... jus needed a bit of patience..hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1999 - 2000
    just what i needed since i have no money to get this removed by a professional.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK-00
    nice nice, u can also use a hairdryer aswell, might be a better idea then an iron ? could burn your self haha, but good stuff. keep it up
    Rehab is for quitters

Because there are so many film products out there with so many different types of mounting adhesives, you would be better to take any job like this to a professional tint shop otherwise you could wreck the rear screen and its heater element.
    The cost of replacement is massive on Hondas.
    Rob
    www.cartint.net.au

^^ true, but then agin i did put this at the top of the thread for a reason - " Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk! " and besides i saved myself $$
    powpoW

Quote Originally Posted by EK1_D View Post
    ^^ true, but then agin i did put this at the top of the thread for a reason - " Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk! " and besides i saved myself $$
    And well done too as many owners with this bad film think they can attack it with razor blades and heat guns and do untold damage.
    Best thing to use is a wallpaper steamer with the end attachment removed so you can direct the steam right on to the film itself.

Then a bottle of methylated sprits to use 100% neat on any remaining glue with a wad of 00 grade steel wool to be used as a textured scrubber.
    Soon as the wool gets gummed up, use a new piece.
    This wool cab be purchased at Bunnings in a small roll.
    Regards,
    Rob.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    i done it with heat gun and razor blades? never damaged it
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    it is a DIY and has a disclaimer perform at ur own risk lol...

personally i wouldnt risk running a blade over the heater could take the coatin
    off teh elements and will rust in time

good DIY...

hairdryers and heatguns are the common tool used to remove adhesive films
    Vince