Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which Coilover is better? D2/Skunk2

Hi all,

Looking to purchase some coil overs for my EG, it is a daily driver and will never be tracked but as I spend 70% of my day driving for work I want to have a comfortable ride that performs well.

I can pick up a set of Skunk2 Pro S Coilovers for around the same price as a set of D2's

Which is going to be suit my ride best?

Probably looking to drop 1.5-2"

Member Array
    Car:
    K20Z2 / EGB18C
    budget? N+ to be frank.
    Back on track, Skunk2 Pro S sounds more reliable than D2s.
    flame on.
    that is quite abunai....

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    Would not recommend D2, had a set before and it was poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    Would not recommend D2, had a set before and it was poor quality.
    would u mind to discribe more about how poor quality is it to OH members ?

thanks
    Yo~~! Vtec go ! go ! go !

Check this :

Garage Sales ( Brand New items ) For sale : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83889

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGO View Post

it is a daily driver and will never be tracked but as I spend 70% of my day driving for work I want to have a comfortable ride that performs well.
    a daily driver that will NEVER be tracked doesnt really require coilovers.
    coilovers generally won't provide a comfortable ride either, only performs
    well, even then, quality of coilovers will obviously vary from model to model.

a comfortable ride that performs well could be more along the lines of Koni
    shocks and stiffer springs. Many people 'claim' that using stiffer springs
    with koni yellows on its stiffest setting still remains quite driveable without
    being too bumpy and yet will stay relatively flat when going around a corner.

Member Array
    Car:
    nsx
    Skunk2's are pretty good if you can get em, don't touch d2's imo

have you looked at tein ss, buddy club N+ or jic's?

Quote Originally Posted by dynosaur View Post

thanks

I have had both front shocks die on me after 2 months but were replaced by Just Jap under warranty. They have been going strong since then for close to 5 months. They told me there was a bad bunch of inserts that came out of the factory that have shown a 60% fail rate. I've been extremely impressed with Just Jap's after sales support, I've had to go back there 4 times (once for each front strut and a couple of times to replace the bolts on the camber tops as they have a tendency to snap, (I now keep several spares) they know me and my car fairly well now.

One problem I do have a lot of noise that comes from the front of the car that seems to come from the bearings and bushes in the pillow tops. I've rebuilt them several times and greased and oiled them even more and the noises keep coming back fairly quickly.This is common with most people I know with D2 or G4 coilovers.

They are advertised as 15way adjustable damper. But the damping adjustment does SFA to the damping....all it does is make nice clicking noises when you turn it and in no way changes the soft/hardness.

The spring rates are all wrong not only for the car but they dont match the valving used in the shock, they are always horribly stiff

I have read of one persons experience in a Silvia with D2 coilovers fitted where even at low speeds the car was skipping across the road and once speeds got higher it would follow any change in camber in the road and would buck and bounce all over the place if things got bumpy.

My S13 had a similar failure at Oran Park last year with G4 Coilovers. They were installed by a qualified mechanic and less than 500km's old. Was neogiating a corner at 80kmph when i heard a loud bang, stopping the car to find mad camber on one side, towed back to the pits to find that the strut had snapped. Was very lucky no other damage occured ie not lose control and put the car into the wall.
    I'd rather walk way from something saying "that was too hard" than walk away saying "that was too easy"
    ***GREEK PRIDE METER***
    █████████████████████ 100%

Member Array
    Car:
    K20Z2 / EGB18C
    nice.
    that is quite abunai....

Member Array
    Car:
    hondaless
    regarding about the d2's my mate who is on this forum, one of his rears started to leak a few days after installation.. doesnt say much abt d2's
    Winton PB - 1:34.90
    Phillip Island PB - 1:50.02

" Nothing beats spooning "

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    ....Get the Skunks

America lives on those ****ing things

for a further more addition they are good quality and at a very affordable price
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    Quote Originally Posted by dynosaur View Post

thanks
    Damper adjusters didnt work any more after 10,000kms.
    Shocks died after 15,000kms
    IT is horribly stiff regardless of damper adjustment.

Stiff not in a good sense... It felt like a boat rocking forward and backward...

Mine on my EG were okay but dear god were they nothing compared to the Koni Yellows and KG/mm Springs
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4 vtir
    go for the skunk 2 coilovers, iv got them on my ek and so far am pritty happy with them