Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury

[CL9] Comptech Header rattle

Hi,

I am looking to buy a header for my CL9 and have narrowed it down to the following: Toda Racing or Comptech.

Toda from reading all the write up in the forum here is the best quality and best for performance gains, but also costs around $1550. On the other hand, Comptech is half the cost of Toda, good quality and a straight bolt on whereas there are some minor mods needed for Toda (only if you have 6M/T which I do).

I don't track my car or anything like that and just wanted some better performance from the header than stock as I already have a catback and CAI.

I'm leaning towards Comptech purely from a cost perspective but I have heard and also reading the US forums there are some major rattles coming from the Comptech header, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these rattles? If you are running the Comptech Header are you experiencing the rattle?

Cheers
    Last edited by docker; 22-09-2008 at 03:35 PM.

From what i have read, the comptech only rattles if you are an auto. If yours is a manual, then your fine.

Someone double check?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    I have Comptech header and my car is a manual.I had a rattle when the AC was on and the car was stopped and engine was idling,when the AC compressor would cut in.What my exhaust guy did was weld the upper part of the header to the bracket from the engine block that supports the factory one,for some reason the Comptech header doesn't have this attachment and therefore can rattle.i've had it on now for 10 mths.and quiet,no rattle now.BTW this header is good value and well made.It improves low-mid range torque and some up in the higher RPM as well.Go for it.

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    ^ are the comptech loud tony?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by snYpz View Post
    ^ are the comptech loud tony?
    No not at all.when you hit 5-6k you notice that it's a bit louder than stock but not much.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    I have Comptech header and my car is a manual.I had a rattle when the AC was on and the car was stopped and engine was idling,when the AC compressor would cut in.What my exhaust guy did was weld the upper part of the header to the bracket from the engine block that supports the factory one,for some reason the Comptech header doesn't have this attachment and therefore can rattle.i've had it on now for 10 mths.and quiet,no rattle now.BTW this header is good value and well made.It improves low-mid range torque and some up in the higher RPM as well.Go for it.
    Cheers for the info Tony. I will order the Comptech and do the same mod to stop the rattle.

Can't beat the value for money, I mean Toda would be great but I can't justify $1550 when I don't track my car and basically only drive in the city with the occasional country run.

And as you said the Comptech has some good gains down low and some up the top end as well.

Thanks again.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04 accord euro
    my top speed header just arrived, but i havent put it on yet, do it on wednesday.
    it should have some different compare with stock.
    personally, i dont think u should spend too much money on header.
    or u can looking for second hand, the brand new is too expensive.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    i've got the dc headers equiv to say comptech and no rattles and doesn't have the cracking of the inner flex pipe problem cause it was fixed.
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapdaz View Post
    i've got the dc headers equiv to say comptech and no rattles and doesn't have the cracking of the inner flex pipe problem cause it was fixed.
    Is that the DC ceramic headers? and what is the DC headers like performance wise? Would it be on par as the Comptech?

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    I think they are fairly similar according some of the tsx forums. The only disadvantage of the DC is the flex pipe issues.

Would the headers make a significant improvement without exhaust? Im thinking about comptech headers on my AT euro but concerned about the rattling...

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by docker View Post
    Cheers for the info Tony. I will order the Comptech and do the same mod to stop the rattle.

Can't beat the value for money, I mean Toda would be great but I can't justify $1550 when I don't track my car and basically only drive in the city with the occasional country run.

And as you said the Comptech has some good gains down low and some up the top end as well.

Thanks again.
    What made my decision easier was i got mine 2nd hand(9mths.old)for $500.Toda is good but at 3 times the price i doubt it'd give me 3 times the gains.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by docker View Post
    Is that the DC ceramic headers? and what is the DC headers like performance wise? Would it be on par as the Comptech?
    IMO if you want bang for buck go for comptech or DCsports.
    Yes ceramic.
    As they are both similiar in performance wise.

But if you want performance and have money to blow + also be major brand whore you can go for TODA/JsRacing/5zigen but these may need slight modifications.

To suit O2 sensor and flanges to adapt to the Catalytic converters.

Quote Originally Posted by snYpz View Post
    I think they are fairly similar according some of the tsx forums. The only disadvantage of the DC is the flex pipe issues.

Would the headers make a significant improvement without exhaust? Im thinking about comptech headers on my AT euro but concerned about the rattling...
    The newer releases have had the inner flex pipe rewelded on the inner side, compared to initial release where it was only on the external diameter.

The headers/extractors play the biggest part in our euro or any cars exhaust and performance as it restricts air flow from the car when compared to stock.
    Not sure about like TODA headers compared to say comptech/dcsports.
    Last edited by Crapdaz; 22-09-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9