Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VT750c

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2

VT750c

Hey all,

Looking and buying a VT750c in the next few months hopefully, just wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts at all?

Ive decided against a race style bike as i dont trust my level of experience just yet to have that much power on tap...

Any thoughts?

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    Don't know too much about cruisers, but you shouldn't let lack of experience put you off riding the type of bike you want to ride. We all have to start somewhere

If you're wanting to ride sports bikes in the future, learning the ropes on a cruiser might not be ideal. They ride differently, you sit differently, your body learns the basics differently...

If you don't want a super/hyper sports bike as your first (I take it you're not on restrictions), have you considered naked-sports or touring-sports? They've got oomph yet have a more upright position, and are not as prone to killing you or your joints as much as the super/hyper sports. Since I'm Yamaha biased, I'll suggest an FZ6 as a starting point, or a mid-90s Honda VTR750.
    Last edited by Feverpitched; 19-08-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    It's not a f*cking Prelude.

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    some good points... i just think about a blokes propensity to be stupid on a bike like an R6, which is what i really want, vs. a bike that is more cruising oriented... plus i LOVE chrome

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    As always, the determining factor is you

I understand the hesitancy though, if you haven't had much experience on a bike then jumping on a weapon like an R6 is a very, very, risky thing to do.

I guess the general gist of what I'm saying is that you should practice on a bike that is similar to what you want to eventually get/ride, so that you learn the basics of that class of bike.

An FZ6 is basically an R6 engine in a sexy naked bike frame. A favourite of Parisian thugs, too, and it's a shape that has grown on me a lot. And as for chrome, you can always polish up the frame, swing-arm, wheels, handlebars, footrests etc...

How long have you been riding, and are you on restrictions?

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Depending on how much experience you have (I wouldnt suggest this if you are a learner) maybe look at something like a vfr800. Its a good cross between a cruiser and sports bike .
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    not much experience at all at the moment, waiting to get off my P's to unrestricted... so not much experience on the street, have ridden dirtbikes occasionally, but yeh, nothing really solid... maybe the better bet is to get a smaller bike like a VT250 for a little while first...

im not really a fan of nakeds to be honest...

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Oh, if you dont have much experience ignore the vfr800 (p.s. it is not a naked). Maybe best to get a 250 or a 400cc for a while to get on your feet and then look at upgrading. You shouldnt loose money on resale value if you choose the right bike as well.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    ^^ What Zdster said. You're much, much better off learning the ropes on a lighter, more forgiving bike than jumping straight to a big bike once your restrictions are over.

A 400 might satisfy your power cravings while still being light and forgiving (ie it won't punt you into a tree mid-corner if you're still ham-fisted with the throttle).

The Honda VFR400/RVF400's are a perennial favourite of mine...

Member Array
    Car:
    89 LS Teg aka ugly teg
    Whats your budget?

With cruisers I find its normally either a love them or hate them sort of thing the vast majority of them are all show and no go, naturally there are exceptions.

I'm a big fan of nakeds and I think they really suit what your after. Around the 600cc mark they either come in detuned 4 cylinders which are pretty forgiving to ride or 650ish V-twins which are down right easy to ride. I'm biased as all hell but I really think you should give an SV650, a GSR600 and FZ6 a test ride. All of them can be chromed up and polished and are good for your first big bike.

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    have looked at rvf400s my mate had one, felt a little bit cramped on it, but then i didnt spend much time riding it really, was just around the block, didnt have too much time to get into it...

i think something like a vtr250 would be a good place to start, just dont like the look of them

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    i think something like a vtr250 would be a good place to start, just dont like the look of them
    Just think your riding a 250 ducati monster

VTR 250's are a great all rounder bike, my mate has one and he loves it, has good handling, and i think thats what you should still focus on if you dont have much experience

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    You better get used to the 'crouch' if you want to own an R6