Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3:EG5 Si

Overheating

Guys need your help on this one....

I was on the motorway just doing 100-110 KM/H today in my EG and the temp gauge started to raise.... seems like it was overheating.......

I was just driving normally and its never done it before....

Now I did some checks when I got home.....

There's plenty of coolant.... as it was only serviced last week.

The fan works..... so thats fine..

Not sure what else could be wrong....

Any help would be great!

Cheers,
    EG5 Under CONSTRUCTION

whats your overflow bottle look like?

If it was only serviced last week, you might have an air bubble in your system and it needs to be removed.

maybe your thermostat..

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    whats your overflow bottle look like?

If it was only serviced last week, you might have an air bubble in your system and it needs to be removed.

My overflow bottle is fine... theres coolant in there....

BUBBLE in the system? please explain..
    EG5 Under CONSTRUCTION

when you drain the coolant you're block fills up with air, and when you refil the coolant through the radiator theres a chance that air can get trapped in the block, and prevent coolant flowing through the system completely (causing symptoms like you mentioned)

Undo the radiator cap (when the car is cold), turn your heater on full, and let the car idle up. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator as it may drop due to the water pump pumping the air bubble out of the system.

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    when you drain the coolant you're block fills up with air, and when you refil the coolant through the radiator theres a chance that air can get trapped in the block, and prevent coolant flowing through the system completely (causing symptoms like you mentioned)

Undo the radiator cap (when the car is cold), turn your heater on full, and let the car idle up. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator as it may drop due to the water pump pumping the air bubble out of the system.
    Cheers buddy.... will try that when the car cools down...

+1
    EG5 Under CONSTRUCTION

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    try jasons suggestion.if that fails.

overheating at highway speeds can indicate sediment in the radiator blocking a part of it.
    all the sediment falls to the bottom of the radiator, and it can block of layers of it, effectively taking away 1/3 or so of your radiators ability.
    only really affects you at high speed because the engine is working and there is supposed to be heaps of air passing through the radiator but there is not enough cooling being done by the partially blocked radiator,doesnt hurt it at low speeds because there is normally enough radiator left to keep it cool and the fan helps out anyway.

to check - heat the car up, then feel the top of the radiator, it should be very hot (please dont hold your hand there and burn yourself haha).
    then feel the bottom of the radiator,if it feels a fair bit cooler then chances are its blocking.
    DONT PUT YOUR HAND IN WHERE THE FAN GOES,IT CAN START AT ANY TIME,EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS TURNED OFF
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_mechanic View Post
    try jasons suggestion.if that fails.

overheating at highway speeds can indicate sediment in the radiator blocking a part of it.
    all the sediment falls to the bottom of the radiator, and it can block of layers of it, effectively taking away 1/3 or so of your radiators ability.
    only really affects you at high speed because the engine is working and there is supposed to be heaps of air passing through the radiator but there is not enough cooling being done by the partially blocked radiator,doesnt hurt it at low speeds because there is normally enough radiator left to keep it cool and the fan helps out anyway.

to check - heat the car up, then feel the top of the radiator, it should be very hot (please dont hold your hand there and burn yourself haha).
    then feel the bottom of the radiator,if it feels a fair bit cooler then chances are its blocking.
    DONT PUT YOUR HAND IN WHERE THE FAN GOES,IT CAN START AT ANY TIME,EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS TURNED OFF
    Cheers mate... will definately try that.....

yeh at low speeds nothing happens.. even when i give it...

but at high speeds.. it just started to creep up on temp...
    EG5 Under CONSTRUCTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    is the car driving like normal? especially when you just had it serviced
    I had something like that once and it turned out to be a blockage in my exhaust. The CAT died and left a piece blocking the exhuast pipe and caused it to overheat at long drives. Check if there is any leaks in the exhaust system.

The other thing i can think of if all the above don't work is that maybe the mechanic used a different coolant to mix it and bad blend? maybe new coolant (complete flush is what's needed)
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    is the car driving like normal? especially when you just had it serviced
    I had something like that once and it turned out to be a blockage in my exhaust. The CAT died and left a piece blocking the exhuast pipe and caused it to overheat at long drives. Check if there is any leaks in the exhaust system.

The other thing i can think of if all the above don't work is that maybe the mechanic used a different coolant to mix it and bad blend? maybe new coolant (complete flush is what's needed)
    Yeh the car is running sweet man... but at long drives along the motorway it just creeps up...

its nothing major at all.. but thought id get some ideas on what it could be..

I'll check out my exhaust..

If theres a leak in the exhaust, could that be the cause?
    EG5 Under CONSTRUCTION

yeah theres a leak in your exhaust, theres a big hole in one end of your muffler

A leak should cause any major over heating problems, but a blockage is what you should be looking for.