Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '09 FN2R

how to tell if my car is running rich?

i know this is a really noob question but how do i tell if my car is running rich? i'm changing spark plugs to NGK iridium but from what i've read it's no point if my car's running rich as it would still burn out or not be as effective anyway?

i'm guessing there will be white smoke from my exhaust? black smoke? i've got a apexi vafc which came with the car when i bought it. does that have anything to do with it? thats an air fuel ratio controller rite?

also, i'm guessing that it is NOT a good thing if my car is running rich? will the apexi vafc i have be able to rectify some of these problems?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    It's not a bad thing if its running rich either. Just too rich can put a hole in the pocket.

Yeah alot of black smoke(I'm guessing its black due to all the black stuff on the rear of my car) will probably come out. Cold starts could also be a problem depending on how rich its running (know this from experience, car is currently running quite rich and have to wash it nearly every week)

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 FN2R
    actually, come to think of it, the car doesnt always start the first time (engine starts and then chokes and dies) which prolly means that my car is indeed running rich. i see white smoke when i start up the car in the mornings (could be due to the cold though). but my friend's car behind me when i hit vtec commented that the petrol/oil smell was quite strong. is that normal too?

Quote Originally Posted by uniorj View Post
    It's not a bad thing if its running rich either. Just too rich can put a hole in the pocket.

Yeah alot of black smoke(I'm guessing its black due to all the black stuff on the rear of my car) will probably come out. Cold starts could also be a problem depending on how rich its running (know this from experience, car is currently running quite rich and have to wash it nearly every week)

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
    actually, come to think of it, the car doesnt always start the first time (engine starts and then chokes and dies) which prolly means that my car is indeed running rich. i see white smoke when i start up the car in the mornings (could be due to the cold though). but my friend's car behind me when i hit vtec commented that the petrol/oil smell was quite strong. is that normal too?
    Same thing happens to me. Car chugs alittle on cold cold starts. People use to say it was my starter motor that made the start up abit funny but a guy from work commented on the fact that when it makes that clicking noise it means the starter motor is working(went abit off topic).

I vtec'd infront of my girlfriend two days ago and she said that heaps of stuff came out of my exhaust. I guess for a car that's running rich it could be normal but I have only had one car that has been tuned so I'm unsure. Other people should be able to put input into this thread.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    cross check the condition of your spark plugs with this guide and it should tell you a bit about how your engines health

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    You could unplug the vafc to see if its affecting the running rich or run a diagnosis on it.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    take out your spark plugs and have a look
    if they're really black, then you're prob running rich.

and smell your exhaust fumes...if u smell petrol..prob running rich. (dont sniff petrol on purpose though, it kills your brain)
    but on cold starts it's normal for your engine to run a little rich

not sure about this last point. If you run rich, i'd assume your fuel consumption would be higher than normal.

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 FN2R
    so far the car's in tip top condition. i did a compression test which was positive (phew) and the spark plugs were still good. but i did a full service just last month and when i went in last week to the workshop to change my suspension, the mechanic checked my engine oil levels and had to top up 1L!!! either kmart didnt top up the engine oil or my car is leaking a lot of oil. would my car running rich have anything to do with it at all??!??

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnY View Post
    cross check the condition of your spark plugs with this guide and it should tell you a bit about how your engines health
    i did a compression test which indicated it was all good and the spark plugs were still in good condition. however, its still pretty new (one month old) so i guess we'll have to wait and see eh.

I do not know if this is a related issue but i just did a full service at k-mart last month and when i went to fix up my new suspension last week the workshop guys randomly checked my engine oil level and was shocked to find that it was only half full! he had to top up 1litre! also, he told me that the wrong oil filter was used. would that be the reason why the engine oil level dropped so much? or is it because my car is running rich? or is it because kmart simply forgot to top up even though they said they did??!??

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R
    BUMP!

can some honda nerds plz continue. this is very interesting as im looking at a car with black smoke all over the back.....Its got a Skunk2 chipped ECU.....i duno if its bad or not....engine will last me ?

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by schuebyTeG View Post
    BUMP!

can some honda nerds plz continue. this is very interesting as im looking at a car with black smoke all over the back.....Its got a Skunk2 chipped ECU.....i duno if its bad or not....engine will last me ?
    ****.... THAT.... SHIT!!!

thats your problem right there... i know coz i did it once upon a time for 6 months and kept getting ~300km out of 42litres even on cruising

that as well as all those other race chips out there like spoon/mugen, etc disable the O2 sensor and makes your car run in closed loop which is what you car runs on at WOT.

just take it out. if you think its cool that you can rev to 9200rpm then i'll tell you it's pointless.. i have dyno graphs of that chip versus stock showing a massive loss in midrange from the lower vtec x-over at 5200rpm and NO GAIN anywhere in the entire dyno curve.

***EDIT***
    see the dip in the middle... BIG NO NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    To fix it either remove the actual chip AND disconnect J1.. diagram here:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...light=chipping

or get someone to provide you with a decent oem rom. i recommend the P30-J02 from the JDM B16a... very smooooth! PM ECU-MAN

OR get someone with CROME to burn you a new rom tuned to your car...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.