Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic ek4

Thermostat

Hi guys, just wondering how much it cost to get my thermostat fixed?

When the car is on stand still the temperature of the car goes up... but when im moving its goes back down to cold...

my mate that works at honda says its my thermostat that needs to be fixed... just wondering on cost and if its a "do myself kinda job"

Member Array
    Car:
    my06 wrx STi
    yeh its ur thermostat, remove the top hose, losen up the bolts holding the thermostat replace it with the new one and dont tighten the bolts up too tight, how long has it been overheating for? u could of blown ur headgasget also???

duno how much thermostats go for they are preety cheap last time i pikd up one

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic ek4
    Quote Originally Posted by 2MPRSS View Post
    yeh its ur thermostat, remove the top hose, losen up the bolts holding the thermostat replace it with the new one and dont tighten the bolts up too tight, how long has it been overheating for? u could of blown ur headgasget also???

duno how much thermostats go for they are preety cheap last time i pikd up one
    umm my mate goes to me... when the car is moving coolent flows through the car more frequently than normal, and when its idleing the coolent stops flowing and car starts to heat up. So far so good i guess car has'nt over heated at all.. everything seems fine... but apparently when it at stand still car uses more petrol to get the heat up.. because too much coolent has run through engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4lyf
    thermostat is around $40 from honda. dont forget to buy coolant as well.
    CEE CEE DUB U

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Sounds like the fan to me. Not thermostat.

Is the fan working?

At stand still its overheating because there is no air flow through the radiator. (fan needed but not turning on)

When your driving, air is naturally passing through the radiator and cooling down. (fan not needed)
    Deano.

Check the fan is working before you go out and buy a new thermo.

I recently replaced mine. Payed $55 from Honda (with the gasket) and payed my mechanic $30 to do it for me. If you're mechanically minded or you can be bothered, you can do it yourself - some detailed instructions on here if you do a search.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG, GC8
    most likely not the thermostat. as honda's thermostat stays open when faulty.. your car will takes longer than normal to warm up if your thermostat is faulty.

my guess is either the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor or the radiator fan. check the radiator fan fuse first i reckon.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic ek4
    Thanks for the reply guys =]

I'll check it out imediately and will let u guys know the progress too
    Last edited by Ek4Vtir; 01-09-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic ek4
    Umm just wondering incase I need to change the thermostat... any links to DIY threads avaliable for B16a2 engines?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic ek4
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Sounds like the fan to me. Not thermostat.

Is the fan working?

At stand still its overheating because there is no air flow through the radiator. (fan needed but not turning on)

When your driving, air is naturally passing through the radiator and cooling down. (fan not needed)
    umm in reference to that.. if the fan is'nt working... Should the car always be on "Cold"? my car always says its Cold... and I'm happy to see it reach the half way point when im on stand still...hmm

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ek4
    my car exactly the same hahaha takes ages to get warm.. then while driving it gets cold

Member Array
    Car:
    IVTEC
    happeneed to mine, i just replaced the fan switch .. cos my fan was working, so check your fan first by putting power straight to it and seeing if it work (cant remember how exactly to do dis lol) and if works then itll be your fan switch .. thermostat is usually car always cold from a honda anyway, havent seen one stuck closed

if your fan or fan switch is boogered, your car will warm up and then start overheating when you are sitting there, then when u start moving natural air will go thru engine and cool

if its your thermostat in general cases, your car will take ages to warm up and usually only time itll warm up more is when your sitting still cos no air going thru engine to constantly cool it ..

but if your car has overheated before due to the fan problem .. it could have a good chance of throwing out your thermostat

if you cbf checking everything i would replace thermostat and fan switch and bleed coolant before going anywhere near the actual fan .. cos im a lazy tightass :P
    Last edited by andiiso; 02-09-2008 at 07:11 AM.