Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic

Planned mods for D16y4

First off, yeah i know its a sohc non-vtec, but i would like to make do with what i have. I dont have alot of money, & these few mods i have planned should give some new life back into the good old d16y4.

I can get a y4 head fairly cheap, & i know there would be a few around because of mini-me's, b16/18 & k20 conversions, etc. & something ive always wanted to do is get hands on & build a nice setup myself.

I already have k&n pod & 2.25" catback. Its my DD so ill be sourcing another head & doing the work on that. my next upgrade will be 4-2-1 headers. Cam, since there are no aftermarket billet items available for the y4, my only real option is a regrind. It works out to be cheaper than a billet camshaft anyway which is good. Finding a grinder with profiles for the y4 however was quite interesting. after much research i managed to stumble across tighecams.com.au & offer a regrind for the y4, & i do believe a member (turtleEK1) had his y4 cam done there aswell. The grind im looking at is the Tighe 996. In the US, alot of guys that run the D16Y7 (similar to the y4) use a delta 272 cam, which is also a regrind, & alot of them are very pleased with the results. So i was after a cam with similar specs to the 272, & the Tighe 996 seems to come very close. this cam should also work very well with the stock valvetrain, which i do not plan to upgrade apart from d16y8 springs, i believe they are a little stiffer compared to y4 springs.

Because of limited funds, i was going to leave headwork at that. I have thought about getting the head shaved/milled, but am unsure of what costs are involved, since the head is already off the block, the only labour i would be paying is the shaving/milling. Also thought about a mild port job aswell but again, am unsure of what costs are involved. I know all these mods will aid in better airflow, but i dont want to be throwing alot of $$$ into it.

Next on my list is injectors. Im not too sure about this, someone may know. I know the USDM D16Y7 which is very similar to the Y4, has 190cc injectors, & both of them being non-vtec, im fairly certain the Y4 is also fitted with 190cc injectors. If this is the case, 240cc injectors will be fitted for the next mod. Since im still staying NA and not chasing after alot of power, im sure the stock fuel pump should be more than enough, but an FPR is also on the agenda.

TB & IM. I do believe the stock Y4 TB is 56mm in diameter, please correct me if im wrong. So an upgrade of this would be to fit a TB from a B16. In order for the B16 TB to fit on the manifold properly, I have to source the TB from an OBD2 motor, since the Y4 is OBD2. So this will be a straight bolt-on because all the plugs & sensors will be the same. In order for the bigger throttle body to really make a difference, I plan to use a skunk2 pro series intake manifold. increased plenum & runner size aswell as an oversized throttle body opening.

I will be running the stock ecu for a while until i can get my hands on a chipped OBD1 P06 ecu & OBD2-OBD1 harness, some tuning & it should run exceptionally well.

On to the transmission. Ill be sourcing a manual g/box from a D16Y8. The gears are much closer compared to the y4s, meaning alot better acceleration. Ill also be fitting a XTD stage 1 clutch.

I could do a mini-me, but as i mentioned before, i would really like to work with what i already have. nothing too over the top, a nice street setup, not alot of power but enough to keep me satisfied...

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Awesome man,nice post.Looks like you have done some good research there.I've got the y4 aswell and have been through all of this.
    A lot of guys in the US love non-Vtec because it gives a smoother power curve,this is something I like too,smoothness.V-Tec I,m sure is fun but more so for b-series.
    I too have no idea of prices for a P&P and slight milling of the head and would like to know.
    How much is tighecams going to charge for a re-grind?
    I know people will say don't bother modding the y4 and it's true really but I just haven't got $7000 for a b18c...
    Stock injectors are fine upto 300kw!
    If the fuel pump is oldish I would replace it with a 255lph Walbro pump $140.
    The 60mm TB and Skunk2 IM will shift the powerband to the higher rpm's which is not ideal for a DD but with the support of a re-grind cam and a tune you should be able to get some,hopefully more than less of that power back to the low/mid range so I think it sounding good.

With the TB,as far as I know slight mods are needed,it's to do with the sensor's,can't remember exactly...does anyone know?

Are U is Brissy? I'm on the Goldy.

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    All you d-series lovers hate to hear it, but you'll be definitely wasting your time and money. Seriously how much do you plan to spend? Like $500? Just go buy a nice head unit and some speakers.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    ^ Agree with Barefoot.

A d16 anything, is seriously not the sort of base to be using if

a) you're after "new life" in your setup,
    b) have a limited budget.
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Forsure but I haven't got 7k for a b18c swap

Member Array
    Car:
    4 banger
    lol booooo, obviously people who live in the higher part of life wouldnt settle for anything less. once people taste abit of the B or K they never go back to D. but thats just a personal choice, for this guy .. his willing to stick with the D and is happy for wat its worth. these little extra mods would jus be bonus within his given budget.

i would say sohc vtec mini me is a waste of time to mod and a head change wouldnt give any much noticeable gains. i would recommend, CAI, regrinded valves, b16a im and tb, 4-2-1 extractors, shave the head, y8 gearbox would be good as well. injectors wouldnt be necessary coz at the end of the day ur still a 1.6ltre and 190cc is more then enough

most gains would come from regrind, gearbox and shaved head. if ur really gona go hard at this semi build then i would recommend new piston rings, and if ur even more gangster then go for high comp piston.but for simplicity sake, Bswap that thing and ur done, no need to muck around with all this modding. but keep in mind that B swap and small Dseries build up has a big price gap.
    Last edited by tekung89; 01-09-2008 at 01:27 PM.
    ohh herrow im jdm

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    That's kinda why I don't wanna drive a b-series cause I know I'll want one and I ain't got moneys for dat.My d is fine,I love it,it just needs a Dyno tune with Greddy e-manage and it will much better.

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootbonzai View Post
    All you d-series lovers hate to hear it, but you'll be definitely wasting your time and money. Seriously how much do you plan to spend? Like $500? Just go buy a nice head unit and some speakers.
    Not everyone has the time/money/resources to do an engine swap, even if the results will be favourable. So what if he doesn't end up with a billion kw. If it gives him an improvement over what he has now (which it will) then what is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tekung89 View Post
    lol booooo, obviously people who live in the higher part of life wouldnt settle for anything less. once people taste abit of the B or K they never go back to D. but thats just a personal choice, for this guy .. his willing to stick with the D and is happy for wat its worth. these little extra mods would jus be bonus within his given budget.

i would say sohc vtec mini me is a waste of time to mod and a head change wouldnt give any much noticeable gains. i would recommend, CAI, regrinded valves, b16a im and tb, 4-2-1 extractors, shave the head, y8 gearbox would be good as well. injectors wouldnt be necessary coz at the end of the day ur still a 1.6ltre and 190cc is more then enough

most gains would come from regrind, gearbox and shaved head. if ur really gona go hard at this semi build then i would recommend new piston rings, and if ur even more gangster then go for high comp piston.but for simplicity sake, Bswap that thing and ur done, no need to muck around with all this modding. but keep in mind that B swap and small Dseries build up has a big price gap.

I agree here. Go for a head shave to get the comp up a bit, go for the regrind, add the bigger manifold and throttle body (whatever you can get the cheapest), CAI, headers and 2.25" exhaust and enjoy it. You will definitely notice the difference and it won't cost you a heap of cash. It will be more lively and fun to drive and thats what matters for a daily. If you don't run 12sec quarters so what?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    VERY VERY VERY VERY refreshing to hear Grumpy!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    save money to turbo the d series..

after spending on intake,exhaust,headers,clutch flywheel, ECU+tune and the labour to fit all these shit in.. you are at very best 15sec quartermile and say $2000-$3000 poorer..

However, if u are after minor gains.. d series modding suits u best.. but keep in mind that if u ever get $3k lying around.. turbo ur d series and with the above mods.. u will be a very happy man..
    JDM Ek4 Squad Perth..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    Fact is you should get over ur EK4, cos its a POS FWD and its in the worse colour ever released.
    Get a real car then start bragging.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Absolutely!
    The only down is a Turbo d isn't a good choice for the track,if you want to track it later on down the track,heating problems which cost a lot for the support systems and unequal length driveshafts,which make driving a pig compared to a b on the track.
    I've heard the turbo in the greddy kits is too small and spools to quickly,therefore breaking traction...

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy rooster View Post
    Not everyone has the time/money/resources to do an engine swap, even if the results will be favourable. So what if he doesn't end up with a billion kw. If it gives him an improvement over what he has now (which it will) then what is the problem.
    Learn to read, where did i tell him to do a conversion? I said save your money all together and spend it else where.

But yeah, don't bother about my advice. There's plenty of internet guru's on here to give you advice on how to mod your current setup. Do all the stuff they have suggested then come back and share your experience with us all.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale