First off, yeah i know its a sohc non-vtec, but i would like to make do with what i have. I dont have alot of money, & these few mods i have planned should give some new life back into the good old d16y4.

I can get a y4 head fairly cheap, & i know there would be a few around because of mini-me's, b16/18 & k20 conversions, etc. & something ive always wanted to do is get hands on & build a nice setup myself.

I already have k&n pod & 2.25" catback. Its my DD so ill be sourcing another head & doing the work on that. my next upgrade will be 4-2-1 headers. Cam, since there are no aftermarket billet items available for the y4, my only real option is a regrind. It works out to be cheaper than a billet camshaft anyway which is good. Finding a grinder with profiles for the y4 however was quite interesting. after much research i managed to stumble across tighecams.com.au & offer a regrind for the y4, & i do believe a member (turtleEK1) had his y4 cam done there aswell. The grind im looking at is the Tighe 996. In the US, alot of guys that run the D16Y7 (similar to the y4) use a delta 272 cam, which is also a regrind, & alot of them are very pleased with the results. So i was after a cam with similar specs to the 272, & the Tighe 996 seems to come very close. this cam should also work very well with the stock valvetrain, which i do not plan to upgrade apart from d16y8 springs, i believe they are a little stiffer compared to y4 springs.

Because of limited funds, i was going to leave headwork at that. I have thought about getting the head shaved/milled, but am unsure of what costs are involved, since the head is already off the block, the only labour i would be paying is the shaving/milling. Also thought about a mild port job aswell but again, am unsure of what costs are involved. I know all these mods will aid in better airflow, but i dont want to be throwing alot of $$$ into it.

Next on my list is injectors. Im not too sure about this, someone may know. I know the USDM D16Y7 which is very similar to the Y4, has 190cc injectors, & both of them being non-vtec, im fairly certain the Y4 is also fitted with 190cc injectors. If this is the case, 240cc injectors will be fitted for the next mod. Since im still staying NA and not chasing after alot of power, im sure the stock fuel pump should be more than enough, but an FPR is also on the agenda.

TB & IM. I do believe the stock Y4 TB is 56mm in diameter, please correct me if im wrong. So an upgrade of this would be to fit a TB from a B16. In order for the B16 TB to fit on the manifold properly, I have to source the TB from an OBD2 motor, since the Y4 is OBD2. So this will be a straight bolt-on because all the plugs & sensors will be the same. In order for the bigger throttle body to really make a difference, I plan to use a skunk2 pro series intake manifold. increased plenum & runner size aswell as an oversized throttle body opening.

I will be running the stock ecu for a while until i can get my hands on a chipped OBD1 P06 ecu & OBD2-OBD1 harness, some tuning & it should run exceptionally well.

On to the transmission. Ill be sourcing a manual g/box from a D16Y8. The gears are much closer compared to the y4s, meaning alot better acceleration. Ill also be fitting a XTD stage 1 clutch.

I could do a mini-me, but as i mentioned before, i would really like to work with what i already have. nothing too over the top, a nice street setup, not alot of power but enough to keep me satisfied...