Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    `95 Nissan Pulsar LX :(

Lightbulb buying a civic... maybe

Having looked for a new car for the last month or so, I am now looking at 2001-2006 civics... I have a couple I'm looking at, hopefully will be test driving a couple this weekend. now a few questions... (PS, am in Australia, please keep this in mind when sharing info/advice)

I am looking at both the sedan (GLi) and hatch (Vi)... I generally prefer the shape of a sedan/coupe... although at first i didnt like the sharp, flat tail of the sedan, it has definitely grown on me. But I am aware that there are differences in the engine (D17, i believe?), and that the hatch has something like an extra 11kw (15hp)... I have very little knowledge of the newer generations, so I have no idea what kind of cam/ecu/variable-valve-timing trickery is responsible for this. I'm also unsure of the dash mounted shifter (in my mind it would seem flimsy and awkward, and i wouldnt know what to do with my left hand most of the time, lol), but i guess driving it will be the only thing to do in this case. and finally i know there was an 04/05 facelift (on the sedan at least, hatch too??) and these are the ones i'd go for, the front end is much prettier... were there any other changes apart from the headlights and other minor cosmetic differences?

anything i should know about the vehicles, any links or helpful info, would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really a boy racer, but i like/need my cars to have some get up and go, and modifications i would be looking at would be stereo, wheels and uprated/lowered suspension, maybe a sports muffler (no cannon) or full catback exhaust system. once again, any input appreciated, and if you actually read all of this, good on you.

If you dont like the FDa, get EP3R mate 7th Gen engine is... not that great IMO... but it still a good run around car... have one of them before, still love em

Bye2 Honda... Hello Mazda family

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    I'm 20 years old. So you're suggesting a car that would cost twice as much, as well as probably double my running costs, ie. insurance, fuel, service. besides, an extra pair of doors actually come in handy to me once in a while so, thanks but no thanks.

Re: the engine, I am wondering why Honda reverted back to the SOHC config?

^^^ ge... no need to be rude mate!!!! :thumbsdown: oh well I think you already made up your mine. gl with the purchase then...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    sorry, i didnt mean to come off rude. And I still haven't decided on a car, but I'm looking for something closer to what i posted (10-15k, low km, small car). Trust me, I would love something with a bit of real gogo, but at my age, it doesn't make sense, and the truth is, I just cant afford it, especially with other plans i have for the next 12 months.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    135i
    I'm in the same boat as you bro, 20 years old, wanting to buy my first car soon. Yes, more power is always good. I've considered buying an Integra Type R, CTR, S15... but realistically, you're gonna have to cough up more dough to cover insurance and maintainance to cover those type of cars.

Why not go 8th gen base model civic? Its brand new, no hassles and its a massive upgrade from the 7th gen.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    still a bit too expensive, dont like the ufo styling, etc.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2008 Civic VTi
    Same here, i'm 20 at uni.. so im exactly rolling around in money but i still bought an 08 vti.. i pay $400 in insurance (full comp) with NRMA and hav a $2000 excess..
    but if ur stuck on ur price range.. then u can only really get wat u can for the money u have.. so its more about wat u can find for the money you have and where u find it.. also.. why not look at something which already has the mods you want.. prob the best idea instead of spending an extra 5/10k on all the mods that you want.. but a car for an extra 3/4k with them all done.. or better yet just buy a new one.. and then reconsider what mods u really want.. imo why buy a 1.6/8L and then try beef it up.. ur not gonna get very far.. either go for looks or get a sport/type r.. purely my opinion..

Member Array
    Car:
    hondas suck <3
    u said 06...06 is 8th gen are u a liar? this relationship is about trust

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by Omie View Post
    Same here, i'm 20 at uni.. so im exactly rolling around in money but i still bought an 08 vti.. i pay $400 in insurance (full comp) with NRMA and hav a $2000 excess..
    but if ur stuck on ur price range.. then u can only really get wat u can for the money u have.. so its more about wat u can find for the money you have and where u find it.. also.. why not look at something which already has the mods you want.. prob the best idea instead of spending an extra 5/10k on all the mods that you want.. but a car for an extra 3/4k with them all done.. or better yet just buy a new one.. and then reconsider what mods u really want.. imo why buy a 1.6/8L and then try beef it up.. ur not gonna get very far.. either go for looks or get a sport/type r.. purely my opinion..
    let me explain to you where all your financial logic falls to pieces.

a) if by 08 you mean brand new, you've lost thousands right there, the moment you bought it. namely the significant drop in value the moment you drove it away, and also with any extras that you opted for at the time.

b) if you mean bought, like with your own money, and you're a 20 year old uni student, then either you have the best part time job in the world, or you're financing. being that I'm quite sure it would the latter, there's a few thousand more you will lose in interest & fees, and then if you want to sell it in a couple of years and move on, as i probably will with mine, you will probably still owe money on it, making life somewhat difficult at the time... but if by bought you mean a present from mummy and daddy then good for you, unfortunately not all of us were born with silver spoons in our mouths.

c) i work for an insurance company, so i know all about variable excesses, but the thing is this... a $2000 excess usually translates to a 50&#37; discount... so if you're paying $400, the discount is $400... considering you take an extra $1500 hit on excess, a claim in the next 3.75 years will negate any saving you made in the first place, and you'll be up for the cash then and there. also, you'd have a ~$400 age excess true??? I really dont want to be digging my pockets for $2.4k at the worst time possible. Although in the last 3 years I've never had an accident, it still doesn't really make any sense to me. even with a hefty discount, melbourne premiums are still pretty high. (somehow i doubt yours would only be 800 under your own name, but I dont know where you live etc)

and Re: the pre-modded car... not only is it unlikely to find a car that has been "adjusted" the way you would like, but it could also mean that the car has had a harder life. yeah, it's profiling, so what? we all know some stereotypes are true.

My plan, which i believe to be realistic and very achievable, is to finance around $6-8k, and have it paid off in 18-24 months, to avoid spending too much on my interest and account fees, and then owning the car outright. sure, other guys might have better/newer/faster/badder rides, but i can wait a year or 2 for something a bit more sporting... definitely not before i get back from my trip to europe, which will be mid next year.

So really, thanks for the advice, i appreciate the input and the effort, but I'm looking for more technical info/first hand experience, rather than unlikely alternatives.

NB. I've also started tto look at a few '99 EK sedans, because i could pretty much buy one outright (including the sale of my car), but I'm worried that the B16 wont have the extra torque I'm looking for, being the same displacement as my GA16.
    Last edited by 85[H]accord; 13-09-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    u said 06...06 is 8th gen are u a liar? this relationship is about trust
    you had me at cracker... you had me at cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by 85[H]accord View Post

NB. I've also started tto look at a few '99 EK sedans, because i could pretty much buy one outright (including the sale of my car), but I'm worried that the B16 wont have the extra torque I'm looking for, being the same displacement as my GA16.
    just a quick note on this, I think the 1.7L 7th gen is way crappier than the B16 on an EK. I dont think the 7th Gen have Vtec anyway