Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 1994 Honda Civic - Transmission issue

Hi All,

Im new to this forum. Just purchased a 1994 Honda Civic Automatic Sedan for my wife..

Now the Transmission has a tiny (perhaps major?) issue that it takes a few seconds to change the gears when you rave and u can actually "feel" it.

have spoken to few friends who has/used to have civics and they reckon a transmission oil change would fix the problem. Then spoke to Honda dealership and they reckon draining the old oil and filling new oil might cause more problem or might fixed the issue for good..50%-50% chance according to them..

As i am really confused with what to do...I hope someone can give me a good insight and a possible resolution?...

Thanks in advance guys!!

I'm lost.. What you mean when you rave? :S

Wat happens :S

I think you should just top up the gearbox fluid..

Hi Mwaku,

rave = acceleration

means, i have to accelerate bit harder to get the gears changed (?) .. and i can feel the "nudge" slightly when the gears change..

yeah..i hope it is as simple as topping up the fluid but bit paranoid after what the Honda dealership mechanic said..

any ideas?

Like does the car shake, tremor?

But yeah, from my personal experience, i think topping it up with auto transmission fluid should do it. Have you check the fluid yet even? If its low, well you know what 2 do. If its not.. i don't know.

(i had auto eg hatch, from 1st -> 2nd, car shoke and shaked, had to get the whole gearbox fixed :X)

WOW..thats a quick reply! cheers mate..

Yes, i am going to check the fluid levels tonight..fingers crossed its low!

if not..umm..thats the sticky bit! hoprfully i wont have to change the whole gear box..

how much did it cost u to change the gear box?

No idea, i got it under warranty from the dealer.. but took like 2 weeks for the mechanic to fix it (ordering in parts and stuff)

but i would roughly estimate 1 grand.. possibly more. (was a brand new gearbox and inc. labor - auto gearbox aint that simple to take out)

if its not low, i would take it to a mechanic, cause it might be the auto gear solenoids that control the gear selection, or the gear pulley. But i say, 95% is just your low level fluid.

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8
    Top up the fluid or flush and replace it to see it makes a difference.

if not the could be actual transmission probs

I have checked the oil levels and it seems to be normal and the oil didnt look "black"..its more dark brownish..ummmm..i think the best thing to do is take a chance and get the honda dealership to flush the oil out and do the necessary service..worse case scenario replace the bl0ody gear box ...

ummmm..

..The transmission fluid is red.. isn't it?

Do you know where the transmission fluid is? Its like a bit left to the oil stick place.. its got a cap.. transmission fluid is redish.

yes, ive found where the transmission fuild dip is..it has a yellow cap and a tag saying "use only genuine honda transmission oil" ..

the oil wasnt really red..its light bronish..may be oil has never been changed? or perhaps the previous owner added some cheap as crap??

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    definately try a fluid change.
    once an auto goes its either a very expensive rebuild. Its usually cheaper to throw in another gearbox.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    the oil is red when its new, it will go brownish as it gets on..
    as long as its not really dark then its usually ok. If its really dark then its being burnt which isnt a good sign.