Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R - S2000

d series short shift problem

Hey Guys,

i dont know if i got the wrong short shifter but i have a very good feeling it may be..
    so i was installing my short shifter which involved getting under the car and what not. i have followed most of the steps provided by some members on the diy thread but when all was done i couldn't put the car in gear 1 or 2, the b-pipe seems to be obstructing the shifter. i then compared the two shifters and found that the part under the ball is longer compared to the stock one so it was extended to the exhaust pipe therefore obstructing the shifting. now have i got the wrong shifter? or have i done something wrong?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 GE8
    Most,if not all aftermarket short shifters are indeed longer under the ball part thingy because by doing so it shortens the shifting action (but makes the shifting effort more).

Can you post images of your cars underside so we can have a look?
    I SiR = Sport injection Racing

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R - S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon SiRG View Post
    Most,if not all aftermarket short shifters are indeed longer under the ball part thingy because by doing so it shortens the shifting action (but makes the shifting effort more).

Can you post images of your cars underside so we can have a look?
    sorry got no pics. i needed to use the car so i put the stock one back on again. btw it a civic coupe with a d16y8.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    slowmo mobile
    had the same prop with my coupe and short shifter. if you over tighten the bolt (too much torque) it will feel overly firm and wont be able to move it into gear. Loosen the bolt of a little and you should be right.
    Join The Dark Side......Get A Free Cookie !!!!!

Now driving a scooby.. will return to the vtec in the near future

Member Array
    Car:
    b&w eh, blurple ek
    might be a stupid question (don't mean to offend and i apologize if i do) but did you feed the shaft from the top through the floor or from the bottom and up, if you put it in the wrong way it could be the reason why it's hitting your exhaust
    Life is like a box of chocolates
    It doesn't last as long for fat people

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    if the shifter is is the wrong way you'll either have the gear knob to far back or in the right place it will not stop it from working. the knob should be closer to the steering wheel, hence also making the shift quicker by you hand having to move less of a distance too.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R - S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by AKILYA666 View Post
    had the same prop with my coupe and short shifter. if you over tighten the bolt (too much torque) it will feel overly firm and wont be able to move it into gear. Loosen the bolt of a little and you should be right.
    which bolt are we talking about here? is it the one which connects the shifter to the shift linkage or the two bolts that hold the bushing?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R - S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Boban View Post
    might be a stupid question (don't mean to offend and i apologize if i do) but did you feed the shaft from the top through the floor or from the bottom and up, if you put it in the wrong way it could be the reason why it's hitting your exhaust
    haha, im not an idiot. did my research before going ahead and installing it all. but i actually got the shifter in an all but its just extended down to exhaust pipe and just touching preventing the shifting motions

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R - S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by 55EXX View Post
    if the shifter is is the wrong way you'll either have the gear knob to far back or in the right place it will not stop it from working. the knob should be closer to the steering wheel, hence also making the shift quicker by you hand having to move less of a distance too.
    are we talking about the bend in the bar? should it be bent towards or away from the driver?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    slowmo mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftycuts View Post
    which bolt are we talking about here? is it the one which connects the shifter to the shift linkage or the two bolts that hold the bushing?
    yeah the one that connects the linkage and the shifter under the bushing...
    Join The Dark Side......Get A Free Cookie !!!!!

Now driving a scooby.. will return to the vtec in the near future

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    which ever places it further away from you and closer to the wheel. the pole tho should bend towards you like stock

..O front of car
    ...\
    ../
    o ball
    |
    o link
    Last edited by 55EXX; 23-09-2008 at 08:57 PM.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R - S2000
    i guess im going to give this another go i guess. i just dont want to have to end up putting the stock one back on again. lol