Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF

Thoughts on a BA4

I've been thinking about picking up a BA4 as I really like the look of them.

I'm a current ED/EF fan but was kinda curious what it would be like to cruise around in one of these. Is there anything I should look out for when buying one? I'm not big on the whole 4WS stuff (more stuff to break) but as I understand it, i don't really have a choice...

So all you current/previous BA4 owners.. gimme your thoughts, comments, opinions, experiences!!

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    Well the 4WS is mechanical unlike on the 4th/5th gen, so less to go wrong. Never had a problem with mine at any rate.

I guess look out for common problems with FWD cars like CV joints. Also general service history (timing belts, clutch change, etc.) and don't buy an auto.

Drove mine from 100,000km to I think around 180,000km. Excellent car to drive. Great visibility, nice and low, light, but responsive stearing and the 4WS was great for handling as well as parking and u-turns. At least when it was dry.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3->EK1->DC2->
    great cruising car, dont expect it to be as zippy as a B series engine though.

- manual trans is fine, not many issues there
    - tiptronic gearbox is prone to leaks... when it leaks ur f**** n calls for basically an overhaul.
    - auto trans is like any other auto trans
    - 4ws system as "safetycar" says, pretty reliable.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Mate as a current owner of a BA4, BB6 and a previous owner of an ED....

All I can say is, the BA4 is an awesome car to drive mate...

The car is light - It only weights about 1.2T so it's not all that heavy

Decent Power - Just to put things into perspective the car has the same power to weight ratio as an E46 BMW 323 straight 6 sedan... or a BB4 Auto F22B (Non-VTEC)

Handling - It's just so damn fun! It may not be the best handling car out there but it sure feels like it... The 4WS is just a weird feeling at first but it becomes second nature sooner than you think...

4WS - Reading in various prelude forums there seems to be very little that goes wrong with the mechanical 4WS setup of the BA4's... In fact there seems to be more trouble with the electronic setup from the BB4's and BB6's...

Your right about things that can go wrong... The BB4 is a vastly different car to the ED/EF's... A thing to remember about these cars is, when something goes wrong, you'll pay and arm and a a leg to get it fixed... and the engine bay is a nightmare to work in... so f*cking cramped

I have a Series II BA4 in manual for sale -
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94409

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    What stud patterns, does the BA use? 4x100 or 4x114.3??

What else should i look for when buying a BA?
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    Should be 4x100. Stock wheel would be 5.5x14 +45. Not sure if it is possible to do a swap like with 4th gens (4x114.3).

Member Array
    Car:
    BB6 Prelude
    I'll just add my thoughts - took one to Melbourne recently, and I still can't believe how nice it was. Sure, this one had been fitted with a H22, but the rest of it was just as it left the factory, and if I didn' tknow the car was close to 20 years old, I never would've been able to pick it from inside.
    "The sign of a good quote is that it has inverted commas at each end"
    -Shaun Micallef

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by Brash22 View Post
    I'll just add my thoughts - took one to Melbourne recently, and I still can't believe how nice it was. Sure, this one had been fitted with a H22, but the rest of it was just as it left the factory, and if I didn' tknow the car was close to 20 years old, I never would've been able to pick it from inside.
    Yeah, well to be specific the Series II interior has aged VERY well... It still looks very modern and very professional. The Series I interior is still good but the fabric on the seats and door trim is a real let down....

You just gotta remember the prelude time line... From my understanding the BA4 (88 - 91) was built for the businessman with a passion to drive, so allot of creature comforts went into the car, the car was upholstered in allot of fabric and the seats were made very cushion'y while at the same time catering to the "enthusiast" part with engineering and design from Recaro...

Now when the BB4 (92 - 96) came out the car was totally revamped and made hardcore. Full bucket seats, harder suspension, very serious cockpit and very little room to manoeuver in it as well... The car bombed in sales...

Again the BB6 (97 - 01) was drastically revamped (Interior and exterior) to be more like... Yes, our humble BA4 while still outperforming the BB4 in nearly all aspects...

This is just my 2 cents on Prelude History...
    Last edited by Petronas; 25-09-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Prelude Si-Vtec
    BB1 ftw!

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK9 CTR
    my bro used to own one of these and it's the car i learnt how to drive in!

i must say it's still one of my favourite Hondas (after owning a dc2r, ek9, eg sedan, ej8)... at the time it was released, definitely a luxury sports, still shows now. the 4ws is amazing, and makes parking so easy... love it! also i reckon the series 2 looks better with the updated rear lights and alloys. i was considering getting one of these as a daily... but i needed 4 doors so i got an eg, hehe.
    arrowz

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    EF-orever
    What about engines? What can you swap in when the original engine get's too worn/tired? K24?

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    What about engines? What can you swap in when the original engine get's too worn/tired? K24?
    The BA4 engine bay is too short for a K24..

The most popular swap is the H22A