Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Fastest CRV in the USA

DIY Hood Damper's

So instead of buying those $100+ Tein, NRG or Password JDM hood dampers, and after waiting for a set in a trade for a few weeks, I got tired, and went and got some hood dampers of a 1995 acura legend and fabed them on the crv. I was looking for 92-95 civic hatch glass struts, but couldn't find any.

So the legend struts made it so I only had to make one bracket for each side. The dampers were $8 for the set, and some grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers were about $2, so a total of $10 and some change for hood dampers! I also needed a metal bar of some sort. I had a piece of steel lying around at work that a co-worker had used to make a lock set up for his tool box, so I used about 6 inches of that. 3 iches on each side bracket.

They bolt to the hood bracket as any normal set would, and right up front on the fender itself. The bracket is on the fender lip (under really) between the two front fender bolts right next to the vin sticker. The bracket goes straight out, and the shock connects there. I painted the bracket black and did have to drill a hole for the bolt, but it looks fine. I was planning on only drilling a hole under the fender line, so it could never be seen, but that specific area is unreachable to put a nut in, because its behind more metal, and I didn't want to make an access hole. So now the bracket is just samwitched around the fender lip. Thats why the grade 8 bolt. So I could tighten it enough, and not brake the head off the nut, which I did, right before I went and got the grade 8! I obviously had to provide the nuts for the "bolt" (round top that the damper clips over) the damper connects to on the bracket as well, because that is actually screwed into the vehicle it came off of. I think I used an exaust/cat bolt.

Now if you look at the third picture, you'll see the shock mount has an unused bolt hole. I moved the bracket up and used the unused bolt hole, instead of the top bolt hole, and that made the hood resistance much better, the hood opened earlier, and is absolutely perfect now, just from a small adjustment!

Last edited by Illegal; 28-09-2008 at 05:36 AM.

'12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    spray them green and stick a tein decal on them!!
    ROFL.

nice work mate, i want to do that too cause its annoying using that hook to hold the bonnet.
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9

very cool man. Nice work!!!
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Vti-R
    very nicely done mate

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    thats awesome man
    ^groundupgarage.com

Member Array
    Car:
    Fastest CRV in the USA
    thanks to all!

I knew someone would do this sooner or later.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    nice number plates.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    Fastest CRV in the USA
    thanks. I just repainted the car yesterday. All that ugly gray is now nice and black!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    lol love the plates, do you get pulled up alot by cops?

Got a set also but the only difference with mine is that the parts that go into the chassis, replace the side bolts with the round ball joints. Had a few comments like waste of money etc.. but overall found mine very handy!
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Fastest CRV in the USA
    thats the way I was going to do these, but they were to long. I figured $10 to build, is better than $160 to buy.
    Mega Asian Thread ONLY!