Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Alfa 156
    Not always the case...don't be fooled by the fact that you can't see them (well not in my Jazz anyway). With all the different mounts you usually get you can adjust the angle of the tweeter to suit your needs

The idea is to keep the tweets as close to the mid as possible.

But I guess different people have different tastes so why not just trial a few different locations first by using double sided tape and see what smakes you happy...afterall it's whomever owns the car that has to put up with it every day!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    no, its not about keeping the tweet as close to the mid as possible imo

its about keeping the distances from each compomnent to your ear as similar as possible

for example, if in your car, the mid in teh door is 50cm away,. the tweeter int eh kick may be 65cm away

however, if you have it up on teh a pillar it might be right on 50cm away as well.

so they are the same distance which means the sound has the same distace to travel. this may effect the sound, but there shouldbnt be too much of a frequency overlap anyways to screw up with wave lengths etc
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by ABANG View Post
    I have seen some pics of the buick you mentioned. He had tweets in kicks, he made port behind the dash so the sound will come to the port through to the dash. If Im not mistaken, he also put the sub at the front, and he had to take the engine off the car before he could put the sub in. Lots of money and effort involved here. So at the end of the day its up to the user how far he/she wants to go/achieve.

cheers
    Some light reading on the Buick...

"In 1988, another superstar car was introduced to the car audio world. The 1986 Buick Grand National (Installations April '89 and August '92) built by SpeakerWorks in Orange, California (and later sold to Richard Clark), is believed to be the only vehicle ever to retire undefeated from the pro division of the national sound-off circuit.

The bad black Buick won the Alpine Car Audio Nationals II Pro Unlimited (751 watts and up) division in '88, and IASCA's Pro unlimited title in '89, '90, and '91 before being retired by Clark. "It's the winningest car of all time in the Pro category," said Clark, who keeps the car in storage in North Carolina. "It was totally undefeated, and its design had a big impact on the way things are done today."

The SpeakerWorks Buick was "the winningest car" in IASCA's Pro division, according to Richard Clark. The system featured two 15-inch subwoofers behind the rear seat, and a 12-inch sub in each rear side panel. According to Eric Holdaway, whose family owns SpeakerWorks and designed the original system, the speaker locations in the Buick were a pioneering concept.

"People thought we were nuts to put speakers in the kick panels," said Holdaway. "Our goal was to maximize the pathlengths for better imaging and staging. It was a groundbreaking approach that most top installers are following today." The all-stealth Buick, equipped with only six speakers and nearly 5,000 watts of power, won four national titles and consistently hit 140+ dB. "I won $60,000 in prize money in one year with that car," said Clark."
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    no comment on a pillars meaning you didnt like it?

although i must comment on Antonys ute beofre finals last year, with the sinfoni gear

i loved that setup. tweets in teh a pillars...

*drool*
    Matt, tweets in the a-pillars are ok, mids are not as they are the speakers you hear the most information from...

Antony's was a 2way setup not 3way and it only had 1/2 hr tuning before it got equal 2nd at finals. Not bad for a slap together system? Wait for the next one, it should blow people away
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by jayesse View Post
    The idea is to keep the tweets as close to the mid as possible.
    not true...

Quote Originally Posted by jayesse View Post
    But I guess different people have different tastes so why not just trial a few different locations first by using double sided tape and see what smakes you happy...afterall it's whomever owns the car that has to put up with it every day!
    people hear differently, but the concept of sitting between 2 speakers is the same, if you think otherwise please tell us whats a better way for the illusion of stage and image?

there is nothing complicated about the concept of trying to get the speakers at close to equal distance away from you to minimise pathlength difference. when mids and tweets are in the a-pillar they dont work, the right side will always be closer than the left side and vis versa. whats so hard about understanding that your stage/image is screwed and no matter how much T/A you use cant correct pathlengths?

if you think its rocket science, maybe you should work for NASA...
    Last edited by ICACHA; 18-10-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    no, its not about keeping the tweet as close to the mid as possible imo

its about keeping the distances from each compomnent to your ear as similar as possible

for example, if in your car, the mid in teh door is 50cm away,. the tweeter int eh kick may be 65cm away

however, if you have it up on teh a pillar it might be right on 50cm away as well.

so they are the same distance which means the sound has the same distace to travel. this may effect the sound, but there shouldbnt be too much of a frequency overlap anyways to screw up with wave lengths etc
    Matt, its called arrival time of the different speakers, having them originate from the same source minimises the arrival time to your ears and creates the illusion of a stage you will be happy to listen to with only slight tuning adjustments.

for this you need a reference to know what it should sound like in the car, thats why sitting between 2 speakers at home will give you the best result in knowing what to aim for in the car. without this reference you are fooled in thinking that your car stages and images... not true as i told Rick this last year. the thing you guys do when competing in comps is get the new comp disc year after year and throw it straight in your car and think it sounds the best, but you havent heard it between 2 simple speakers to know what it really should sound like. thats where you all go wrong and fail at comps...

if you remember me telling Pete (muzzy) on Nathan's forum, you all talk the same shit year after year because you buy a car that you like then try and make it sound good without having the balls to cut and modify it to suit audio purposes. buying the right car will get you much closer to having a system that stages and images with less customising, but you cant rule out customising all together, if you wanted to return a car back to OEM for re-sale later then dont put a system in there and talk shit day after day about trial and error on what your going to do to fix the vehicles flaws (generalising here)...
    Last edited by ICACHA; 18-10-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    i undestand it all completely

with my old car (SX rolla) i cut the shit out of the door metal and door trims to fir the mids next to the midbass'

tweets down in teh kick panel.

i do completely agree with you about swapping the discs every 2 years.

i remember listening to the Chesky CD at home on my $300 total dick smith speakers/amp/sub setup, and it sounded better than pretty much every car, because they were perfectly distances, same path length to ears....
    to see all of my build, checkout