Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Intake/pod

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000

Air Intake/pod

Seems like some owners on this forum got their air intake customed? So do I just go into any Car Mod shops and they do it?? I haven't actually asked around yet so how much would it cost? I live in Adelaide btw, if anyone here with a jazz and got their stock air intake changed let me know.

I intend to get the VAFC2 but ppl say need atleast the coldair intake change first before getting the vafc2 for any little noticeable effects.

thx.

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    There are a few options you can take here.

1. Modify the stock box with a cold air feed (cheapest option)

2. Buy somthing like the A'pexi Power Intake and work with that - this includes a cast alloy intake pipe and filter. (this is what I have done)

3. Get a custom made intake pipe with a pod filter and work with that. (This is what Petrovski has done)

If money was no object and I could start again, I would go for option 3.

To give you a quick run-down on mine, here are the details and cost:
    * A'pexi - $250
    * Custom shield - $150 (I think)
    * Fog light garnish (OEM Honda part) - $80
    * Cold air feed - $100 (this included fitment of the fog light garnish)

Pretty damn expensive now I look at it.....

Option 3 will cost about the same, but it should be more effective.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2+2, DC5R, LE
    i know my frined got a "ARC" style like aluminium air intake box fit straight into his jazz engine bay and that cost him less than 600 , if you want you can ask me for a photo of his car. you dont need to custom make..so trouble

Moderator Array
    Car:
    2002 Fit
    Modifying the stock box is the easiest option you just take the bottom half of the pipe underneath off and then $30 for an autotechnica pipe from autoone.
    Run the pipe from the foglight to the bottm of the middle box of the stock airbox and you're done! Very simple and it doesnt take long.

As for the custom job . . . .
    mine will prob be in the same ball park as Jus-10's.
    Only difference is where he has Apexi - $250, mine will be almost exaclty the same price except we'll have different pipes.

Pete

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    ARC do make a box sure, but you will need to figure out a way to shield the filter from the hot air and still run a cold air feed.

They do look pretty damn hot though...

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Hey Just10, did you fit everything yourself??
    Well I think I prefer option 2 from your list. I don't know any technical installation stuff so doing things myself isn't gonna work. So if i go to those Mod Shops, they can custom make those intake pipes/ shilelds etc?

Can everyone with a CAI installed post their pictures here so i can have a look??? and also YES to that ARC one.

Thanks.

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    I'm having trouble with my computer, but if you go here you can see a pic of how mine is currently set up. You can see the shield over the fileter and you can see the fog light garnish that has been installed. The cold air feed sits directly behind that and goes pretty much straight to the filter.

I sent some decent links to Petrovski the other day with some good shots of different intakes. I don't have them any more, but he may have kept them and might post them up here.

The pic below shows it it looks with just your standard bolt-on A'pexi kit:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pix3 021.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	473  

Moderator Array
    Car:
    2002 Fit
    Heres the link to the cars jus-10 is talking about:

LINK

click honda fit in the top left and then engine covers under each car.

the pics wont load sorry

and another one:

Pete
    Last edited by petrovski; 05-10-2004 at 10:23 PM.

hey guys, does a lot of spray from e.g. the wheels of the car in front in really wet weather cause any problems with an intake from the foglight area? i'm pretty ignorant about these things and also want to put in a cold air intake. Thanks!

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    Nah man no real problem with the rain/water. If you have a 100% sealed box, then sure it will act a bit like a vaccuum cleaner, but it's not going to cause any issues.

It's not going to scoop up water and any water that gets in has to travel a fair way and will require a lot of force to make it travel vertically and in to the filter.

Hyperlock is when the engine just sucks in water...droplets won't even get past the filter.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Fit GD1
    Got this from HongKong. Comes with simolta high flow filter. Direct bolt on. Best thing about this is filter size same as stock.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Hey jus10,
    you have VAFC2 right? well reading from your signature or whatever.
    Is there much difference and work well with your CAI?? I don't know if i should get it installed as much as I wanna because I probably don't know how to set anything and get it 'detuned' instead of getting improvements.
    Do ya have to get it dynotuned?? Cuz the place Im getting from is kinda cheap and its where I got my RSM installed. They don't have dyno testing utilities. Is there like a default setting or go back to factory settings?

thnx