Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover

input shaft bearing?

hey all..
    i posted up a while ago now i was hearing a clicking noise in my gearbox, and was told it was the isb so brendan changed the isb and the trust bearing, and its still making the noise.. and is getting a bit louder..

any other ideas?

what will it lead to?

thanks

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    CV's?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    If another bearing in your box is noisy then its likely to fail eventually but how long as abit like how long is a peice of string.

If you've eliminated your cv's and driveshafts as not being the problem, then might pay to pull the box and run your finger over them all checking for noisy ones and replacing them before 1 may fail and if in the right spot and at the right speed, trash your gearbox.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    hmmm yeah im not exactly too sure if it is the cvs and driveshafts...

im stumped.

might have to get it checked out..

so its likely it could a matter of time before it sh*ts itself?

input shaft bearing will make noise when the clutch is engaged and not when the clutch is disengaged. You might be able to test it at idle.

if you're getting the sound while moving it could be something else.

How loud is the noise man?

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    its only noticeable when in like the garage at home or something..its not too loud but it has goten louder since i last posted the topic and got my isb changed.
    can only hear while clutch isnt engaged..clutch goes in, noise goes away

mmm so changing the isb was a waste??

on the same topic, my box makes a noise in idle, stationary. When I press the clutch, the noise goes away. I have changed the thrust/clutch bearing and it's still the same. Could it be the ISB ?

Member Array
    Car:
    ep3r
    when clutch is engaged (i.e. pedal is out), the motor is connected and spins up the gearbox. While it is allowable for some rotational noise from the gearbox, a shitty gearbox bearing (most likely the ISB in a honda) will cause a noise that is very noticable, especially parked in a garage. If the noise ramps up with rpm (ie clutch pedal out, neutral, rev engine from idle till 3000rpm) then the bearing is ****ed. Once the clutch is disconnected from the engine (clutch pedal in), the gearbox revs will drop to zero (not instantly), so if the bearing is the problem, the whirring noise will also die out.

Thrust bearing (or release bearing) noise will be the opposite. Noise when clutch pedal is pressed in. No noise when clutch is engaged

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    on the same topic, my box makes a noise in idle, stationary. When I press the clutch, the noise goes away. I have changed the thrust/clutch bearing and it's still the same. Could it be the ISB ?
    well i changed my isb, and its still doing it too.

same problem as you.

yeah i'm pretty pissed as it was misdiagnosed so now I have to do it all over again (dropping box).

Can someone advise if there's any other bearings apart from clutch, spigot and ISB ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    yeah i'm pretty pissed as it was misdiagnosed so now I have to do it all over again (dropping box).

Can someone advise if there's any other bearings apart from clutch, spigot and ISB ?
    mmm yeah..

i dont know what else there is too do.

when mine got taken off the synchros were all good so i dont know what else it could be..

i thought it would have been either the isb or thrust bearing.. but yeah hasnt solved it.

what you gona do?

I'll change the ISB end of this year, not anytime soon as my hands are sore from cuts/bruises hahahahah.