Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car wont get into gear

Hey guys, i just started my car up in 1st gear and then it started to shake and stutter, so i pushed it back into neutral.

But now when i clutch in and try to get into any gears, it wont let me.. what happened? did my clutch stuff up?

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    check clutch fluid in the little container near the bigger one.

mine was empty and i had to fill it back up.

or is it only first gear?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

okay car got into gear and is working fine now after i put it in gear when the engine was off, but now everytime i release the clutch it makes a grinding noise... this can't be good can it?

oh and i also checked the clutch fluid its pretty much full..

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    not sure then

synchros still good?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Your clutch probably worn out

yeah check out your synchros, also check your clutch if u got a kinda of new clutch its probably not aligned right

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2
    ok, i dont see how clutch fluid or the clutch itself is related to this in any way... a worn clutch will just make it harder/fail to engage so he wont be getting far. the poster has a problem getting the shifter into a gear. if u have a leaking clutch master cylinder then ur clutch pedal will go weird and depending on how much fluid u have in there, it might just stick to the floor.

it sounds like a synchromesh problem. try flushing out ur transmission fluid first and see if its that. was it really cold when this happened?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1992 Eg4 GSI
    i forgot what the mechs told me when i got mine fixed, coz i had the same problem too, and it was sumthing to do with the plates. not sure.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    crx
    hey guys.. yeh im gona hav to agree with NSPYRE.. i've come across a problem like this afew times at work and yeh it pretty much does come down to the gearbox it self.. yeh as NSPYRE said flush the fluid n try using REDLINE Performance gearbox fluid.. it should help with getting into gears smoother with lesser crunching..

Clutch fluid and/or gears, perhaps the teeth of the gears are worn/broken thus crunching when trying to get into gear
    I haven't driven a Honda in years. :/ Does my honda lawn mower and whipper snipper count?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda euro 07
    see if you have any clutch fluid or maybe its just your gear box go ask the mechanics see what they say.

My fren has got a similar problem on his BMW 318i few weeks back,
    Got his car back to the dealer,
    the service guy later on advised, the clutch is the issue there.