Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

$1200 for a starter motor?!?!

EK Civic CXi hatch... Okay so I'm pretty sure my starter motor has had it. For a little while I'd only get a click when I turned the key, and I'd have to have a few goes before my car would start. Then all of a sudden there were no problems for a few weeks, so I brushed it off. Now when I go to start it, the starter makes a horrible rattling noise and the engine kicks over in a really rough manner. It's getting worse and worse and I fear that soon it won't start at all.

Anyway, I figured it wouldn't be hard to swap in a new starter so I called a Honda dealer (Peter Warren) and got a price on a new one - $1200 + GST. What the hell? Does this sound right?

There's no way I'm spending $1200 on a freaking starter motor. What are my other options? Can I pick up a recond one or something?

Member Array
    Car:
    its a bike!
    Ring Hannys performance 9725-5115

Member Array
    Car:
    its a bike!
    u can get supplied and fitted d16y motor for that lol or a b18 long block or many other things that is supplied and fitted tho aye? its the labour there charging? ask benji if you buy and he puts it in.

$1200 is the price just for the part! I was going to fit it by myself.
    So Hannys Performance can get me a starter? Or you were just suggesting them for fitment?

By the way, called Repco and they don't have a listing for any aftermarket starters.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Try Charlie from Good Performance Centre in Yennora - (02) 9681 6788 - should be able to sort you out for heaps less than $1200.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    LOl just get a rebuilt one mate no need for a new one, its a honda

Member Array
    Car:
    08' Euro CU2
    i got a second hand one fitted to my mums camry, works excellent now no problems whatsoever, 200 bux inclulding labour, thats from good year

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    It's just incredible that Honda can ask $1200 for a freaking starter motor!!
    I mean I'm not at all suprised but just the hide of them to prey on people who don't understand and charge them absolutely ridiculous amounts of money for something that they can sell for WAY WAY WAY cheaper,just incredible.I could never work at a place like that where I would have to look someone in the eyes and say 'I can get you one,it will be $1200 plus GST'.

Thats ridiculous, tell'em don't worry about it and get a new motor =P
    I haven't driven a Honda in years. :/ Does my honda lawn mower and whipper snipper count?

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    LMAO you got OWNED!

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    check your wires before you spend any money...
    could just be loose... like on my motorbike...

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    LOL 1200 can already buy u a bare b16a.

Mekong spares does a trade in ur stock for a rebuilt starter motor for about 100.

Or alternative option is go to hannys.
    mugen無限power