Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

VTiR B18C vs. Type R B18C.

If I were to transplant either of these engines into another car, is there any point of choosing the Type R engine over the VTiR if I'm going to change the intake, headers + full exhaust, computer, lightened flywheel (and new clutch), underdrive pulley and other small bolt ons?

Will a similarly modded VTiR motor make similar power to a type r?

Down the track it'll probably get more work like head and cams, cam gears, 4.9 final drive etc if it matters.

And probably a little off topic for this section, what would a mild B18c in a stripped out 89 Civic hatch run down the quarter with a competent driver?

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Have a read through this thread,
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18699

This will outline majority of the differences to do with the VtiR and the Type R.

Putting it simply, the Type R block will always be a better base for mods than the VtiR - as it has more power already.

Also, as this is with regards to an engine conversion and not so much an Integra in stock/modded form, moving to the technical section.

edit: With regards to a mildly modded b18c being put into a stripped 89 Civic, with a competant driver, high 13s is my estimate.
    Last edited by Q_ball; 18-07-2006 at 10:16 AM.
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    I asked the same question a while back. Have a search it's been covered quite a number of times. Just really just depends how far you're gonna go.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

For the time and money you spend trying to get a b18c2 (VTIR) as quick as a type R...start off with the Type R seriously....

and as Qball mentioned looking at 13s, maybe can get down into 12s if you really strip it!!! ALLMTR used to have a AH civic stripped out that did 12s.
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    the price u pay for a vti-r is half of what u pay for a type R.

u can easily pick up a vti-r engine for around 2k. where as a type R is 5k

huge difference in price.

down the track you decide to change the internals it'd be a waste to do it on the type R as everything is gettin replaced anyways. doesnt have the typeR characteristics no more. either way in the end you'll have a fully built 1.8ltr engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Q_ball
    Putting it simply, the Type R block will always be a better base for mods than the VtiR - as it has more power already.
    disagree with the type R "block" having more power. Its the combination of the type R motor that makes more power, inclusive of IM/ TB/ headers. I see no reason why a VTIR engine wouldn't be the better option for a swap, simply due to its lower initial cost. Terrible one obviously has a build plan, and looks like he is going to change most things to after market parts anyway.

thats my 2c

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    agreed agreed ^ just depends how far he wants to go.
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    or even better yet, do a b20 vtec engine. best bang for buck imo.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    ^^^ not very reliable tho...needs alota cash put into the b20 block for it to withstand a good thrashing...
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Want to know what a Type R engine has over the VTiR (USDM GSR)? Read this: http://www.superhonda.com/tech/DC2Ty...omparison.html
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    Quote Originally Posted by VTi_b0i
    ^^^ not very reliable tho...needs alota cash put into the b20 block for it to withstand a good thrashing...
    time will telll
    it seems like they are pretty reliable atm

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng
    Want to know what a Type R engine has over the VTiR (USDM GSR)? Read this: http://www.superhonda.com/tech/DC2Ty...omparison.html
    doesnt matter what a type R has over a vti-r when in the end the guy will be swaping

- intake manifold
    - exhaust system
    - full internals