Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s

[5th gen h22a Accord]bad vibration

hey guys, driving to sydney on the weekend (500km) and the car (5th gen h22a accord) developed a vibration under load through the car which overtime resulted in such a bad vibration that it seemed like i had eye wobblesbecuase the whole car was vibrating. i checked the wheel bearing, it was fine, the car had the same vibration in any gear but only under load.

couldnt for the life of me figure out what it was until i got under the car and checked it out, seems that this violent vibration is from the inner cv pot joint where it slides into the intermediate shaft, there is excessive free play in it.

i havnt had time to remove the shaft yet and inspect it but the vibration is getting really really bad.

anyone else had this problem with their 5th gen accord?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    this problem went away but would resurface when you were giving the car a hard time or if you took it on a long trip, im thining the hotter it got the worse the vibration would get. it got to the point where it felt like the whole engine was wobbling side to side in the engine bay.

guys, the accord intermediate shaft bearing had failed, not sure why, maybe the extra load/torque from the h22a on the accord intermediate shaft.

Anyways, i had spare h22a prelude intermediate and drive shaft so i put that in and the problem is gone.

the prelude and accord intermediate shaft slides into the h22a gear box indentically but depending on which intermediate shaft you use means you have to use the corresponding drive shaft ie accord intermediate and drive shaft or prelude intermediate and drive shaft.

i did all the work myself at a mates mechanics workshop so it only cost be 70 bux to get the prelude drive shaft and c.v joints inspected, regreased and new boots fitted.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    just a quick up date, everything re the vibration was good......... no vibration when driven around the city etc UNTIL i got on the open road, then it came back, then it would go away when i drove around slowly.

i jacked the car up and there was excessive free play in the passenger side front wheel bearing ( although i distinctly remember that there wasnt any play in the bearing when this vibration first became apparent.)

Me and a mate replaced the bearing ( its a bastard of a job) and all seems well for now, fingers crossed lol.

why we didnt suspect a wheel bearing at the very start is because 1) there was no free play in the wheel and 2) it never made a noise like a worn out wheel bearing does.

when i go 10 to say 40 ks i get this funny sound sounds like its from the bak but when i stik my head out of the window it sounds like it comes from the front drivers side, How much did it cost u to change the bearing urself. chance u give me step by step, i think i mite have this same problem. cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    Quote Originally Posted by VTEC96
    when i go 10 to say 40 ks i get this funny sound sounds like its from the bak but when i stik my head out of the window it sounds like it comes from the front drivers side, How much did it cost u to change the bearing urself. chance u give me step by step, i think i mite have this same problem. cheers

i could have got the front wheel bearing from honda for $165 ( my price ) i think i get about 30 percent off rrp.

i went to the bearing shop next door instead that a guy i went to school with owns, he got me a NSK bearing for $101.44

anyways, to do the change, you have to take off wheel, undo drive shaft nut, undo 2 bolts that hold the brake hose to the strut, undo upper control arm nuts in the engine bay, then swivel the whole hub out while you push the drive shaft back through the hub. undo the 4 bolts on the face of the disc rotor too.

then there is 4 bolts on the inside of the hub that hold the wheel bearing and brake rotor on the hub, undo them and bash out the bearing with a big arse hammer lolz ...then using a press push out the old bearing out of the rotor , then press the new the new bearing in and reverse the procedure.

thats basically it. job will be easier with a hoiust, air tools and a press.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    guys, another update with the vibration.

all seemed fine until i took a trip to sydney, the vibration was back again and the freeplay was in the bearing, so i put a new bearing in, and there was still freeplay, we figured out why to.

it became apparent that whilst accord and prelude driveshafts and intermediate shafts are interchangeable, the outter c.v spline is too long ( so it sticks out too far where the drive shaft nut screws on)

this means that the nut can not possiblly be tightend until the bearing is held properly resulting in the freeplay in the bearing because the shaft runs out of thread before the nut is actually tight enough

so, out with the prelude shaft and intermediate shaft and back in with the accord driveshaft and intermediate shaft ( i did this the other day , you may have seen oics in the appearance gallery of the car on the hoist.

now we are back to square one, the intermediate shaft bearing is worn,( what i suspected when this saga began. we kinda noticed that b4 we put it back in but we wanted to double check with the accord shaft and the new wheel bearing to see if it was actually a fault of the bearing.

so, i went to honda to order a new intermediate shaft bearing, yeh, they can get one here in 2 weeks!!!! not good when im meant to be taking the car to sydney this weekend ( 1000km round trip )

so, what i am going to do this after noon is take out the accord drive shaft and intermdiate shaft, then take the accord shaft and the prelude shaft and get the outer cv from the accord shaft and put it on the prelude shaft at the local c.v recondintioner, then install the lude shaft and intermediate shaft with the accord outter cv joint

this way, we will have a good intermediate shaft ( the bearing is good) and a drive shaft that will allow the drive shaft nut to be tightened to specification.

ive got to do all this in work time too!!! lucky were not flat out today otherwise id be ferked lolz.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Damnn that sounds complicated but makes sense! Glad you figured out the problem though.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

hey about this vibration shit my brother got a 95 accord when he goes just above 80ks and lets the acceleration go lettings the car roll on its own. his steering wheel vibrates like mad like his arm vibrates with the wheel lol he just got wheel alignment and wheel balance last month. what do you think the problem could be.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    my vibration is when u are accelerating / engine under load.

well i did all that stuff to it the other day and the piece of shit is still vibrating.

I dont know what to do, ive spent 400 bux trying to fix it and its not fixed.

anyone got a match?

Hey dude dont kno if you fixed your problem or not, But other day i was told my front engine mount was cracked changed it and mi little vibration i had is gone. So thought mayb you could chek it out on yours.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    i havnt fixed the problem, put another new wheel bearing in just to make sure it actually wasnt the wheel bearing. The vibration is really bad lol.

I bought a new front and rear engine mount on the weekend as the front one is totally screwed as you can feel where the rubber is broken( its only 30000km old ) the rear one seems to be screwed to, because if ride the clutch with the brakes on the motor rocks a full 3inches forward and back lolz and the rear mount supports the majority of the engines weight.

anyways, i just have to put the new mounts in and i'll see how i go.

if there is still a vibration i think i willget the balance shaft belt checked and the harmonic balancer checked.

glad u sorted out your vibration.

thanks, Yeah its something all honda owners or i think accord owners should check. Its a very common problem on the engine mounts are very weak.