Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    4 banger

Removing thermostat - pro's and con's

so the car i've recently bought seemed a little odd because warm up took approx 10mins or even more to reach 40% on the temp gauge (which is jus touching the temp symbol on a dc2). wen i open the radiator cap the water seems to be constantly flowing.
    after abit of aggressive driving at 4-6k rpm for about 10mins, i noticed the temp gauge rising from 40%-to 50% and dropping back to 40%, i continued driving at the same rpm for another 5 mins and it went up to 50%-65% and occasionally dropping back to 50%. however driving normally is fine and it doesnt give me any problems at all

my best guess is that the car has had its thermo stat removed. after some reading i found that a car can potentially over heat if the thermostat is removing because there is constant flow of water at a faster rate and during high revs the water does not spend enough time in the radiator to be cooled down thus overheating can occur. can anyone confirm this?

other stuff i have found is that removing thermo stat can somtimes cause the car to be in cold start mode because the car cannot reach operating temperatures. this causes more wear to the engine and perhaps drain the petrol abit more. the car can also apparently pass out more emissions then usual.

is there anything else people would like to add? and for track use would u guys recommend a low opening thermo stat or jus the oem one.
    Last edited by tekung89; 07-08-2008 at 03:10 PM.
    ohh herrow im jdm