Threaded View

Just got home from driving a VTIS manual.

Initial impression from outside..... its a very good looking little car. In fact... I think it brought the bitch out in me.. I thought it was very cute

Initial impression from inside..... great layout, seat fabric is not too shabby, visibility is outstanding. Top glovebox lid was a bit naff (satin metal paint look). It could be just me not really having spent time in the GD... but I feel the cars narrowness, not saying its cramped, far from it with that headroom and the extended A pillar felt quite airy... just had more of a feeling that the door trim was right on my elbow/shoulder compared with other small cars, and I am far from being a big guy. Speaking of doors though.... they did close with a satisfying thunk much to my surprise.... sure its not the same thunk as a car from VW/Audi group but great for something in this class. Also.. with rear seats in their normal upright position, the boot is very deep.... and and there was a full sized alloy as a spare under that boot trim too

Initial driving impression..... engine tone a bit corse (thought it would be a bit more subdued). There is no denying its a honda engine.... the thing starts to come alive bit over 4k rpm. 1st gear seemed useless, with 2nd gear being the cog that the car starts to seem more willing to accelerate nicely. Acceleration is what is to be expected in this segment, and overtaking is gonna need some well judged driving. On the highway it is quite posied, two big rigs came in the opposite direction (no centre divider on this hwy, just painted line) and car drifted a bit over with the airpressure however this was about on par with what I have experienced with a current generation Corolla which is at a guess another 200kg heavier.

As for handling, the car is VERY surefooted. Was quite nice through a few roundabouts and bends where the advisory speed was disreguarded (no I did not go over the actual indicated limit ). While the body roll is there and you really feel the height of the car as a result as it starts to lean more, was not once concerned at a possible roll over.

The suspension feels quite firm and as such.... bumps are transfered into the cabin a fair bit together with increase in road noise and overall harshness over even slightly imperfect blacktop. I think in this respect I am being a bit too critical of this car, and need to remember that it IS an econobox at the end of the day, so a silky smooth/cloud like drive will never be acheived. I guess they could have softened the suspension up a bit to dull the sensation of the car being shook around over shithouse roads, but almost certainly at the expense of the sharp/crisp steering response.

Powersteering took a little to get used to in slow city driving, but felt good at highway speeds.

Things I am gutted about not having available; HIDs & climate control.

Overall its a great little car..... now the ball is in the lady of the house's court if she would like to have it in the garage. From my perspective I say yes... especially shopping in this price/car segment range, I think it would be quite hard to beat.
    Last edited by SPEEDCORE; 16-08-2008 at 03:13 PM.