Quote Originally Posted by spetz View Post
Hi,

Police frequently prey on the naivety and ignorance of the average person towards the law. I was hoping we could create a list of what our rights are if we get pulled over.

Some of my queries:
1. Are we allowed to video tape the incident, and what if the police officer requests the camera is turned off?
2. Is the police allowed to search the car without the owners consent?
3. Are we allowed to remain within the vehicle if it is our choice, even after instructed to exit the vehicle?

If anyone knows of any laws which may be in our favor it would be appreciated if you posted it up.

Thanks
In NSW,

1) Generally, you can photograph/film police as much as you want in public space, as long as its not in a dangerous manner or hinder them in their duties. This probably wont go well in a car situation but personally I have a dashcam mounted on my car that pretty much records everything.

2) Yes they can search your car without consent, but always make it on the record that you do not consent or agree to the search.

3) No they will tell you to turn the ignition off and get out of the car and if necessary, cuff you for their own safety while executing a search.