Thread: K20 mx5

Threaded View

K20 mx5

Hi guys,

I'm looking to fit a k20 motor into my MX5. I can now get all the conversions parts from the US. I'm looking for clean, free reving N/A power for use on a track / sprints. I'm not familiar with honda engine so here's a few noob questions:

1) Where to buy a K20 motor. Seems there aren't many in the classifieds etc. Can you import them or are there other sources in Australia? I'm looking for just a long block, so no transmission, exhaust, IM.

The K20 will bolt up to the stock transmission which is good for a max of 250HP. So I'm looking for an engine with around 230-240HP. Now the IM won't fit into the car so I was actually looking at ITBs or fitting a S2000 IM. so my next question is:

2) what should I actually look for in terms of getting to 230 HP. K20a, K20a2, K20z1 etc all look to get around 200HP as stock, so is any preferred for minor tweaks? Would ITB's and ECU be enough to get it one to my 230HP target?

3) instead of doing all this myself, should I just get a built motor? ie spend more now to save later.

4) Revs, Revs, Revs... I like them, so what upgrades would be best? Lightened rods, rockers, better valve springs, cams, Kpro?

cheers

edit: and I don't want to fit a K24 motor. I want to stay in the under 2000cc class.
    Last edited by madjak; 24-03-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: noted in post