Had the Jazz VTi-L for nearly 2 weeks, so ready to post some impressions.

I have never been one for small automatic cars (always a manual for me) so this is a first. I have never been impressed by the lack of grunt and all the noise and constant gear changes.

The Jazz however, has changed my mind. The engine/CVT combination is actually a pleasure to drive, smooth, unobtrusive and only a bit noisier if you need to push it hard, as I would expect any small car. For those complaining about the lack of the direct injection engine, get over it, it isn’t hear so complaining about it is the same as complaining that it does not have a Ferrari engine. Something to look forward to in the future.

Lets’ also put to bed some other criticisms I have seen and address some questions.

Colours – not a big choice but enough and obviously a person preference. They all look good, except I have had black before and won’t go there again. I bought the ‘Attrack Yellow’. Compared to the pictures in the brochure it is slightly ‘greener’ particularly in the shade.

Rear drum brakes – see no problem here at all. If you didn’t know you wouldn’t know.

Passenger front seat room – again not a problem for most people and if it is, then you are looking to buy into the wrong car segment.

Seat comfort – I found no problem with the drivers seat. It does not have as much side support as the Euro but it wasn’t a problem. The seat adjustments and steering wheel adjustments were adequate to give me a very comfortable driving position

Gearing – just over 3000rpm cruising at 100km/h, less than my Accord Euro Lux!

Fuel Consumption – Satisfying. 5.4l/100km on a recent trip and 6.1l/100km on another with some urban driving. Pure urban driving varies, but havn’t seen more than 7.7l/100km over an extended period.

Performance – for a small ‘city’ car, and you need to remind yourself of this, it is surprisingly good and I quite enjoy driving it. It is nippy in traffic without having to push hard and goes well on the open road. In fact, on good roads (and I will come to that later) I have to remind myself that I am in the Jazz and not the Euro.

Ride and Handling – again for a small ‘city’ car it is surprisingly good, but being a short wheelbase / narrow track vehicle it will always struggle more than a larger car. On good roads it rides and handles well though. Where it does show its size is when the surface become coarse and choppy, the ride feels firm, a bit like overinflating your tyres by 10psi. I would not describe it as bad but typically of a small ‘city’ car. The car also exhibits a bit more body roll than I am use too, but again it is not bad, but you do notice it.

Space – here is where the jazz excels. You actually feel like you are sitting in a much bigger car. It is spacious, definitely not claustrophobic and the majic seats need no introduction. There is loads of legroom in the back for 2 adults.

Entertainment – all works as described, takes a bit of getting use too, but cannot fault. A phone that I couldn’t get to work with the Euro has no problems with the Jazz.

So what is there to dislike? Surprisingly very little. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the rear seatbelts have a high take-off point that can place the belt at an uncomfortable position as it passes over your shoulder if you are short. Otherwise I am enjoying the drive!