Quote Originally Posted by Jaso
Not every government scheme or grant is going to benefit everyone. If government funding goes to a hospitol are you going to complain just because you dont use that hospitol...?
Of course it doesn't, but did you know that the current percentage of LPG vehicles on the road account for something like 4% of the total number of cars registered in Australia? Even with the rebate, can't see that number going off the chart or anything. So you think a subsidy that only helps a mere 10% of the population AT BEST is a smart idea? I think not.
BTW, please learn to spell HOSPITAL rather than saying HOSPITOL. it's cracking me up.

There is demand for new and used LPG cars weather they are new or used. I know about three guys that run their falcons (Fairmont Ghias {Top of the line} RRP from $52,860 + onroads) on LPG. Someone else I know bought an LPG converted nissan patrol for $70, 000+. (Is $70, 000+ upmarket???)
That proves there's a high demand, does it? You must know the entire Australian population.

The bottem line is that the LPG grant is a generous offering designed to help those who beleive they may benefit from a conversion of their vehicle to LPG. Of course its not going to benefit everyone...
Sure it's better than doing nothing, but John Howard is desperate because of people complaining of combined effect of interest rate rise, petrol price hike and grocery price. It was a desperate measure to get some points off the voters.