Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    MY06 Euro Luxury

Wind Affecting Handling

Hi All,

Has anyone that does much highway driving ever find that the Euro is a b*tch to drive in a side wind.

I have an 06 Luxury and over Christmas when highway driving at 110km/h in a side wind it felt like I had a serious wheel alignment problem. It was pulling to the left (not just a little but alot!). The next days driving in no wind was perfect alignment and driving.

In all other cars that I have owned I have never had this much affect by the wind.

Does anyone know if lowering the ride height would reduce this affect or is this a "feature" of the Euro design.

Would like to hear back if anyone has any similar experiences.

Chris

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Are you talking about cross winds?

It affects all the cars not just the Euro...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    MY06 Euro Luxury
    Yeah - Cross Winds.

But like I said I have been driving many different cars and over 17 years of driving have never felt anything like this before.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 vti-s
    oh dear, it looks as if u need one of these wings to fix the problem.

just kidding- seriously, i would tend to agree that lowering may help.
    Last edited by h22a accord; 03-01-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Same for most cars. If you want to minimise it, you can run lower tyre pressure.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG2, GD1, CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Same for most cars. If you want to minimise it, you can run lower tyre pressure.
    wont lowering the tyre pressure makes the car feels more wobbly and unstable at high speed?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by STTICH View Post
    wont lowering the tyre pressure makes the car feels more wobbly and unstable at high speed?
    Not if you use the minimum that is stated on the tyre placard on your car. For the Euro, it's 32psi for 16". Most of us usually run higher at 36psi and some even like 38psi. When it is too high, there is slightly less contact patch on the road (that's how you get better fuel consumption with high pressure), and external influences can easily shift your car (like wind or water through aquaplaning).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG2, GD1, CL9
    i see.. thanks aaronng

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro manual
    I travel a lot on highways and motorways in general and have not noticed any significant difference between the Euro and any other car I have driven. The exception being a 9 seater bus which was pushed around quite a lot by side winds. What may need determining is what setup or changes Chris73 has made to his car. How many people in the car, tyre pressures, after market kits etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Subaru Liberty GT-B
    I'd have to agree with Adagio and a few others.

I've always found the Euro to be an enjoyable drive and no problems with the freeway driving up the coast of NSW along the F3 or anywhere else. I drive around 110-120km/h and the euro is a nice car and doesn't suffer too much at high speeds unlike other cars i've driven in the past.

I usually have my tyre pressure sitting at 38-40 before I do my freeway runs, but that's to try to maximise fuel economy..

but as Aaron said, it can play against you.. where if it's raining and the road is wet there is a good chance of aqua planing.. i avoided it a few times coming back from Port Macquarie, adjusting my speed to 60-80km/h in a 100/110 zone.. those small tiny puddles are bad..

Though, it could've been the day you drove the cross winds were stronger than usual, i haven't experienced a strong one yet in the euro.
    MY07 Subaru Liberty GT 2.5T B.Spec 6SPD MT | Satin White Pearl
    MY04 Honda Accord Euro Luxury 6SPD MT | Arctic Blue
    MY00 Chrysler Neon LE AT | Red Salsa

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 S15 Silvia Spec R
    the euro might even be a larger car than some people are used to. bigger car means a larger front to the wind. they dont test cars from the side in the wind tunnels :P

my pintara and liberty were a bitch to drive in wind. the S15 kicked ass, low and rock solid suspension. but ive yet to find a stiff breeze to drive the Euro in to compare it

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    MY06 Euro Luxury
    My Euro is stock standard 06 Luxury model. No modifications at all.

Tyre pressures were approx 36 in front and 33 in rears running on 17" rims.