Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    The Moving Kind

How much Boost would my car handle

Hey guys, im about to rebuild my engine and get a better ecu for the car. Question is i want to know how much boost i could put through the engine with stock interals, i am wanting to run it on around 12 after all the new work is done (its running 7psi at the moment). Or do i need to upgrade some of my internals for the boost to be that high? (if my internals are upgraded i want to do it when the engine gets rebuilt...)

The engine in question is the D16Y SOHC (non vtec) running a T3 turbo.

If u need anymore info just ask

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic ek hatch
    im not the person to give you the answer here, but have u thought about forged pistons and rods? ur already pulling down the engine so youd be looking at probably $1300 extra, minus what you would pay for the stock replacment parts, allowing you to run higher boost. thats a really hot car by the way, i like
    Back from the dead

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The D Series internals are weak and not suitable for any boost really. U should upgrade the internals if you want reliability, especially if u wanna reach 12psi
    Last edited by EuroDude; 05-01-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    12 will prolly be too high and require forged pistons/rods/valves & springs ... but then u can run even more. I know on b-series stock motor ud want to run 6psi low about 10psi high to it be safe. All depends on the tuner and how the engine respods and handles boost.

anyway search im sue this topic has been covred a million times before and ur tuner should recommend u the max u can run if he has experience in boosting honda engines and the ecu.

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    The D Series internals are weak and not suitable for any boost really. U should upgrade the internals if you want reliability, especially if u wanna reach 12psi
    tell that to all of the d series motors out there running 3-400 hp on stock internals.

It all comes down to the tune. With a very good tune, you can run 12 psi on a T3 without a problem. However, if the tune isn't all the great, you'll be buying a new motor.

If you're in the process of rebuilding the motor, I would certainly upgrade the rods and pistons while you have it apart.

Why are you rebuilding?

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    tell that to all of the d series motors out there running 3-400 hp on stock internals.
    Really? I was told the D16 internals are piss-weak compared to B-Series.
    But yeah, the tune has a lot to do with overall reliability.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    Really? I was told the D16 internals are piss-weak compared to B-Series.
    But yeah, the tune has a lot to do with overall reliability.

they aren't as strong as the b series ones, and the d15 non vtec rods and such aren't the best... but the d15b, d16z6 and d16y1/8 internals aren't too bad. They're certainly a lot better than most people give them credit for.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    How about the D16A8 (ZC) DHOC Rods, are they decent?
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    The Moving Kind
    reason for rebuild is due to the fact that the car is abit smokey when i really put the foot down, i am pretty sure its the rings, either way its burning a shit load of oil, the car has done 200000km's. so i just want to get the hole thing rebuilt and get the new rings in and what ever else needs to be done all at once. at least then i know that the cars engine should be in its best condition for the next step in my boosting, ha my civic is to slow for me atm

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    did this smoking issue develop after the turbo was installed? I'd be looking at the quality of the tune if it did. If you're causing damage, obviously the tune isn't very good, and I certainly wouldn't be having the same person tuning to a higher psi.

eurodude... I'm not sure actually... don't have any personal experience with the ZC's

Member Array
    Car:
    The Moving Kind
    yeah i am pretty sure its been cuase due to the ecu/tune. it isnt a very good ecu, but that will be getting replaced with a decent one when the car gets rebuilt (wanna pretty much do everything at once)

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    did this smoking issue develop after the turbo was installed? I'd be looking at the quality of the tune if it did. If you're causing damage, obviously the tune isn't very good, and I certainly wouldn't be having the same person tuning to a higher psi.

eurodude... I'm not sure actually... don't have any personal experience with the ZC's

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    what ecu are you running currently?