Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

95 Prelude break problem

Just having some trouble wih the brakes on my new lude. The mechanic said it just had some air in it and they blead it out, but it seems to be doing the same thing again going soft under my foot. What is the next thing to look at. Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    does it do it on hot days?

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ B20vtecTurbo
    Sounds like your brake master cylinder is by-passing. You try putting a kit in it but im suggest a new one.
    EDGE AUTOMOTIVE

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    bb1
    my mate and i both have 4th gens and we've had the same problem. we changed our pads and now it works fine....might be them..

Member Array
    Car:
    91' S2 Prelude
    I had the same problem and it was the BRAKE master cylinder
    1989 Nissan Skyline R32 GTR
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32.4 Bee*R wide-bodykit
    1991 Honda Prelude Si-4WS Series II
    2003 Honda Integra Luxury

If your brake pedal is sinking (especially all the way to the floor) and it happens or is more noticeable during hot days, it'll be the Brake Master Cylinder. Had the same prob, pads replaced etc ... still happened.

Expect approximately $399 for a genuine Honda part, less for aftermarket or reconditioned.

ps: awesome writeup above - wish i had that.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    i checked with honda for a ek4 master cylinder a while ago... it was $240 oem ..
    shouldnt be too much price difference with the lude i suppose .. 399 is too much to pay

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Civic Ek GLI
    should only be about $150 if you can get the labour done cheap

Won't find a genuine 92 - 96 OEM Prelude master cylinder very cheap ... I suppose it really comes down to where you go to get it. Tried a few dealers - most didn't have one in stock, the ones that did were charging me $399.

If you can get it fixed and re-sleeved instead, it'll cost a crapload less. I had to have my car running later that day, so had to pay through the nose.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '93 Prelude S
    i could have bought a brand new, genuine OEM Honda MBC for $190.50 from a Honda Dealer....instead, i got my mechanic to source the same part at a cheaper price and put it in for me. $399 is crazy talk!

Yep, that's the quote I got for a non-Honda one ... but no one had them in stock apparently. Just saying, genuine Honda MBC will cost a bomb. At least it does around here (or the world is simply against me )