Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

Gen5 Prelude VTI-R Manual! CAI + VAFC + IVAN/ Hipower Raceing Tune !! = Very happy!

Hey guys

Over the past 6 months my girlfriend has owned her first car. We were lucky enough to score her Gen 5 H22a Vtir Manual Prelude!. We have done a few little mods, keep in mind my partner is a uni student with a budget. Being in love with hondas my self i insisted on getting her a polished cold air intake system and a Vafc ( bit of bling and a bit of go).

Being an electrician myself i wired in the Vafc No problems but tuneing it was the hard part, which i did not even want to attempt myself. Finially got together a spair $200 to get the Vafc Tuned and we were very very happy with the results ivan could do for us, and extrememly surprised what sort of gains you can just get from a tune and a VAFC. Before the tune, the car seemed a little sluggish in low revs and had some sort of flat spot in the pickup. Also the vtec changeover was a little harsh and aprox 5800rpm. The car would pull well but seemed to dip off a little bit near redline.. aprox 7800. Also was running quite rich with much unburnt fuel on acceleration.

The Tune that ivan did last night took around 90mins. Basically it involved a wideband O2 Sensor in the exhaust running up to a gauge inside (that he was watching while tuneing). Before the tune started ivan played around with the vafc and brough all the settings back to default.

The Vtec changeover was taken down to 5500 and the tune was basically down in 3 stages. Low Rev, High Rev and Test (best part eheh!!). Low rev was done in 4th gear and several runs were done by slowing down and full throttle in 4th for a set point in time. Each time ivan would be changeing stats on the vafc map to get the best and safest power output. Now that the Low rev range was done, time to start playing with high rev and vtec.
    This was done in 3rd gear and involved a similar process slowing down and open throttle etc while adjusting some settings on the vafc.

Was very surprise how the vafc can make the cars power curve and induction sound so much different. It started at the standard sound which seemed a bit raw, harsh and higher pitch... and in the end it was alot more of a deeper and thicker noise ( barrrrrrrrBWWAAHHHHH to boooooOOOBWWOOOAHHHHH ... ehhe Very cool! )

Now was the time for test. We pulled over on the highway (110km/hr zone) and waited for all traffic to pass. The test was open throttle all the way to speed limit. So 1st, 2nd and some of 3rd. After tuneing both high and low revs the difference was great and NO UNBURNT FUEL!!! YAY!!. Car would wheel spin in 2nd and massive jumps in 3rd. No flat spots in low revs, much better low end torque, earlier and smoother vtec change over and no power loss near redline ( just wants to keep going and goin....!). Also seems to be better on fuel too!!.

Estimated a power of aproximately 130fwkw (give or take ) and we believe it could do a low 14 at willobank (depending on driver). Feels very similar if not more powerfull then a standardish dc2r or dc5r (not trying to cause a shit fight just putting it in perspective for some people) just does not rev as high. (we are still happy with 8200 though hehe)

ATTENTION!!... NO TRAFFIC LAWS WERE BROKEN ON DOING THIS TUNE NOR WERE ANY OTHER DRIVERS PUT AT RISK!

Anyway guys let me know what you think of my little write up and feel free to ask a few questions or make a few comments. Massive thanks goes out to Ivan at hi power raceing to look after us especially in his free time!! I had a Dyno tune on my Boosted Dseries Civic (microtec stand alone management) for $700!!! by APC which did not seem half as good as this road tune ivan did (just with a basic piggy back vafc). Just goes to show how import a good tuner is !

Thanks In Advance

Regards Lyle & EvI

Ps My apologies for not going into anythign technical with the vafc, i unfortunately dont specifically know hows its tuned or how the softwear works etc etc... but possibly if ivan reads this thred he could go into a bit more detail in what he did
    Last edited by Sexc86; 04-03-2007 at 06:46 PM.

cool man glad u like it.. when i get my car hooked up with a vafc.. ill b getting ivan to do mine as well.. my mate with a prelude got his vafc tuned by ivan as well and he only said good things about it.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTi-R Prelude
    lol ok....to reach 130fwkw on a h22 ull need minimum intake exhaust and headers, ull prob still need IM and tb. and when i say headers and exhaust im talking high up items,
    i have a friend, smsp headers, custom exhaust with skunk 2 im and tb(forget brand, made in same factory as skunk 2 with same specs) flowbenched and aem CAI tuned with standalone s200 ecu. pulls 130, im sorry but u figures are too high and at best ill guess ur at a low 15 pass

so....tell me ur mods and then maybe i may believe ur figure, but quite frankly im doubting it ALOT

and do u know how a vafc works? it tricks the ecu into pumping more/less fuel without changing ignition independantly.

easssy there marty .. haha

but yeah 130 atw.. not happening mate. sorry to say. about 15kw too high at least. and yeah quarter mile will be 15 flat iffff lucky.

other than that. nice to hear the great results

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    nice to get some replys, from what i have herd the vafc is a pretty good unit, Ivans 12.03 b20 crx is running a vafc and some other basic unit (no hondata) goes harder then probably most N/a cars on here. (im very sure some of the brisbane boys can vouch for it )

As figures no i cant give anyone anything accurate but in terms of 1/4 time, i have raced my boosted civic that makes 105fwkw (with BIG stereo, full street trim AND 19inch rims 25kgs each... ) i can usually do mid to late 14s... in street tyres

The prelude now would EASILY pull on my car at low revs but maybe up top be roughly evan (vtec vs full boost) so no i completely disagree with the 15s statement hehe...

I do know it would take a lot of practice to achieve the goal but i have no problems with comeing back and posting up a few time slips......

peace guys and keep it friendly here or i have to start leaving some neg feedback

Member Array
    Car:
    SHIT BOX
    im glad your tuners go with u all the way to make there customer happy,unlike in here tune your car take your money and when u come back unhappy they blame it on the engine.......good one dude
    WHY WASTE MONEY ON 10k BUILDS WHEN A STOCK MOTOR CAN RUN THAT TIME.......

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    heeh yeh there are some really dodge workshops up here mate trust me

like quote you $500 for a dyno tune and then when its done... it runs like shit, blows unburnt fuel, and they turn around and ask for 1100 because they had to change your fuel filter and sparkies... go figure... ****in criminals if you ask me... but at the end of the day i will never recommend them to anyone or take any of my business back there

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    heeh yeh there are some really dodge workshops up here mate trust me

like quote you $500 for a dyno tune and then when its done... it runs like shit, blows unburnt fuel, and they turn around and ask for 1100 because they had to change your fuel filter and sparkies... go figure... ****in criminals if you ask me... but at the end of the day i will never recommend them to anyone or take any of my business back there
    Sounds like someone had a bad experience. Good to hear you are a happy customer.

Goodluck with ur car.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2-T, H22a CD5, H22a eg
    low 14s in ur dreams and especialli with ur driving....hahahahaha no way in hell

cai and a vafc, and u'll run a 15 second qtr mile if ur lucky

i'd love to see some low 14's tho. i'll be waiting to see ur time slips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    I do know it would take a lot of practice to achieve the goal but i have no problems with comeing back and posting up a few time slips......

peace guys and keep it friendly here or i have to start leaving some neg feedback

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Sounds like someone had a bad experience. Good to hear you are a happy customer.

Goodluck with ur car.

hahah yeh me and a few of my friends have been to this brisbane tuner had very similar things happen.

Ie... quoted a price, upon return it was double because of this this and that etc...

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Quote Originally Posted by tct View Post
    low 14s in ur dreams and especialli with ur driving....hahahahaha no way in hell
    well we ran a high 14 a few months ago without the vafc, just cold air intake, stereo removed low tyre front pressure and a few runs... i got no probs posting the slip if noone believes..... why is it so hard to believe that a h22a prelude will pull a late 14?

im only istimateing as the vafc makes it go better so in theory i should pull a better time next time we go....