Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR

Del Sol - Tell me whats good about it... bias welcome

Okay with my Nissan NX a write-off... i've been looking into the gen CRX that i've always wanted but couldn't afford.

Tell me whats so good about it... btw stock for stock i've driven a mates JDM personal import one compared to the AUDM... JDM seems a lot quicker...

I want to know:
    - What so good and unique about it?
    - handling stock and slight suspension mods?
    - Power stock and with slight mods.. dyno sheets would be appreciated as i want to compare overall power to my SR20. also redline and cam switch point on AUDM model?
    - Reliability?
    - Trouble spots? Common breakdown parts and availability of replacements
    - Aftermarket support as well as part interchangeability between B18 motors (other than cams/gears) are a/c,p/s, belts, filters, consumables starter all that stuff the same...
    - Brake size, piston size and rotor size.... non-aftermarket upgrades from other honda models?

Its unique cause you never see them on the road at all. i swear theres only about 20 in qld. (probably more lol)

Handling stock is ok. i got a set of coilovers now with stock everything else it handles extremely well (i beat wrx's in motorkhanas )

Power stock is ok, you'll beat most things. Do some breathing mods and you'll beat even more things. Big weight reduction and you'll be keeping up with alot of 2 litre turbo cars on the straights (You'll smash them in teh corners with coilovers too )

Reliabilty. Mine hasn't broken down at all. I look after it tho. Regular servicing, no redlinging when water/oil isn't up to temp.

Haven't had to replace anything cause its broken yet. I did upgrade the brakes cause the person before be had shit box pads in there but i'm sure the OEM ones would be ok.

Aftermarket support is great. Most DC2 or EG civic gear will fit straight on. Just need to be 100% sure first.

brakes: I upgraded to slotted discs with Endless type CC-X pads and its great. out stops everything on the road easily. once again. very similiar to EG civic and you can even upgarde to DC2R brakes (if money permits)

Hope this helps.

PS I own my mates NX-R coupe by a car length. Those motors just get tired to easily.

J

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7

two seater targa top..
    driving experience..

not too familiar with the handling when stock..
    but sussy mods.. you can use any EG/DC2R sussy.. as they will just bolt on (might have to change rear LCAs for DC2R sussy though)

- Power stock and with slight mods.. dyno sheets would be appreciated as i want to compare overall power to my SR20. also redline and cam switch point on AUDM model?

118kw at the flywheel ? probably looking at ~90kw at the wheel

- Reliability?

as reliable as any other honda.. aslong as you maintain it, can last a lifetime.. (or close to it )

make sure you keep your seals maintained.. expensive to replace..

if you get the jdm model, the electric targa is super expensive to replace, and rare to find..

- Aftermarket support as well as part interchangeability between B18 motors (other than cams/gears) are a/c,p/s, belts, filters, consumables starter all that stuff the same...

any b-series parts.. providing you get the b-series model (non-jdm)

i'm surprised you say the jdm model is faster ? as it's heavier by quite a bit because of the electric targa..
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    sweet. thanks fellas... time to go searching...

looking for some cheap ones... reason i was asking about reliability is coz i was looking at some high mileage ones... looking into learning about the chassis and engine and build it up as an NA.

fair enough it is called the CIVIC Del Sol in the states and is based around the same chassis the way the NX and N14 pulsar are similar... but i would have thought it would have had its own section... i guess i thought there were more differences in chassis.

i'll go searching for some dyno sheets now and set myself a goal..... thanks again. one things for certain is that i won't settle for it until i can get it into 13s NA.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4

Just look at it. It just unique on its own. Looks, open air driving. You can make them look hell nice

Slight suspension mods reap very good results. I had just low king springs and gas shocks in mine and it handled real nice.

- Power stock and with slight mods.. dyno sheets would be appreciated as i
    want to compare overall power to my SR20. also redline and cam switch point on AUDM model?

Stock power 90-95kw @ wheels. Simple I/H/E give good gains. VTEC crossover is 5500rpm. Peak torque 7000, Peak power 7600, redline 8000, cutout about 8200.

- Reliability?

Bullet prof B series motor. Mine was turbocharged and had over 230 000kms on it. Motor very strong.

Parts are available. Problems I had: Roof leaked under heavy rain. Targa roof rubers deteriorate if not looked after.

- Brake size, piston size and rotor size.... non-aftermarket upgrades from other honda models?

Not exactly sure.
    Last edited by DLO01; 14-03-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    that peak tq at stock?!?! ouch......

this made acceleration sound good though:
    http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-del-sol-6.htm

i've checked the faq sticky in this thread and theres no too much info on the gen3 specifically except engine and driveline.....

but yeah thanks for all the input... just want all my bases covered as it is either this, and MR2 GT or AE111 Levin VZR blacktop 20v.

i'm not overly concerned with peak power but rather the 2nd cam power band as a whole.

also in terms of reliabiltiy.. i'm a DIY person and will pull the engine apart myself like i did my SR20 and 4age when i start learning Honda... always wanted to fondle a B series....

i now pretty much just need info on:
    - Stock bottom end reliable SAFE HP with full bolt-on head
    - std brake size and interchangeability with other Honda's in the same class (Civic/Integra) except DC2/5R as i will keep it 4 stud.

some dyno's i've scoured over the net look pretty alright, but with the lack of torque and the heavy ass kerb weight i wasn't expecting.... i wonder what bolt-on mods some of you have made bar displacement/cylinder compression increase....
    - tuning + high lift vs low duration cams???

does anyone who has stripped this car have a weight breakdown of each part? not that i will.. but some forums i noticed they have a thread dedicated to this......

also just to confirm... same platform as EG civic right?
    Last edited by dsp26; 14-03-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    RustBox
    only in america they call it the DEL SOL
    ٩( ͡๏̯͡๏)۶ www.crxaustralia.com ಠ_ಠ

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    del slow?

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    i'll add that the chassis is EG - and there is a massive aftermarket of Parts available for modifications - just about anything and everything off an EG civic will fit - some body parts as well.

I love the fact its a pure two seater - so you're not a taxi for people trying to scam a ride.

apart from that - the boys summed it right up!
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Yeh, for a little car the weight is a bit surprising at 1114kgs. But remember the Aus version comes with all gear Air, PS, all electrics + extra strengthening being a targa adds up.

As sinister says, heaps of aftermarket bits available.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    okay 1 more queston...

i will be making a purchase absed on engine condition and not how many KMs it has as i don't care...

so i need to know (since i can't think right now to calculate myself).. if the CR is 10.4 on the B16A2...
    - What is the expected PERFECT cylinder compression value based on Australian altitude?
    - What are the tolerances stated in the factory service manual

also if someone can give me the brake rotor size or even the for those with an aftermarket slotted item... if you could just give me the catalogue code that would be great!!!

looking forward to be active here with some DIYs as i did with previous rides and clubs.... thanks in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    Very Impractical Car!!!! >_<