Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    u never explain where and how u dyno your car.. I did dyno with bonnet up, some put dyno with fans in front which does make some different.
    but for the fact, CAI is LAG at the low end

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Low Down = <3000RPM so we both stand corrected except ginganggooly may have intepreted the what I think is low RPM wrongly...

Everything is cleared up now although there is an obvious flat spot...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TypeG View Post
    u never explain where and how u dyno your car.. I did dyno with bonnet up, some put dyno with fans in front which does make some different.
    but for the fact, CAI is LAG at the low end
    che?? wtf does the bonnet have to do with this situation?

EuroAccord13 hit the nail on the head... it comes down to how you define low end. I'd class anything below 4k as low end, in which case, the CAI -at WOT- is clearly much better than stock, as indicated on the displayed graph. Below 3000 it's much of a muchness, as there is a crossover.

Case closed

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Nail on your head or mine? LOL....

Euro have around 8000RPM to play with (7400 for you anal measuring kids )

So to 3K is low end, 3K to 5K is mid range... 5K up is high end.. Although we cannot really classify our cars to have high end RPM because we don't! Anyway.. ALL CLEARED UP!!!!
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

I'm used to a 9200rpm ceiling :P

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    Quote Originally Posted by ginganggooly View Post
    che?? wtf does the bonnet have to do with this situation?

EuroAccord13 hit the nail on the head... it comes down to how you define low end. I'd class anything below 4k as low end, in which case, the CAI -at WOT- is clearly much better than stock, as indicated on the displayed graph. Below 3000 it's much of a muchness, as there is a crossover.

Case closed
    release some hot air from the engine i guess

i do hope a CAI is much better than stock or why we want to pay extra which dont gain anything.
    that range of 400rpm loss below 3000 is what we used it most of the time as unless u WOT your car all the time

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Accord Euro
    wtf does the bonnet have to do with this situation?
    It's part of the whole reason many argue that dynos cannot represent real world driving situations, and hence measuring power/torque changes from air intakes is difficult.

With the bonnet down, you don't get the airflow (to the filter as well as through the engine bay) that you when driving the car. The in-drawn air also gets heated more which affects engine performance.

Hence, many leave the bonnet up and blow fans -- but that also adds extra cool air and doesn't allow for the under-bonnet heat that happens when you drive on the road.

Some argue that only real way to check things is to plug in the computer and plot things while you drive...

"Dyno-proven" doesn't necessarily mean much in real world driving -- unless your only real concern is winning dyno shoot-outs.

EDIT: Plus, anyone thinking about a Comptech icebox had better move quickly as Comptech is shutting its doors according to the US forums...
    Last edited by Tobster; 23-03-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    No, it shows the baseline BELOW the CAI down low.

The CAI yielded small gains until ~2700rpm on the displayed graph. There is a ~400rpm area with slightly less power (difference of less than 2.5kw), at about 3000rpm they cross over and the CAI has a clear advantage from there on.

You don't need a tractive effort line to see that the car is making more torque everywhere except for that 400rpm space.
    Slightly less power is less power than stock which no one wants. And I don't see a torque graph so how can you comment on torque? The other graph is air fuel ratio.
    Last edited by yfin; 23-03-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin View Post
    Slightly less power is less power. And I don't see a torque graph so how can you comment on torque? The other graph is air fuel ratio.
    very true

i feel the damn lag man
    dun tell me i am BSing

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '04 Euro Luxury 7th Gen
    so which is better out of the three again? lol....
    2004 7th Gen CL9 Black Euro Luxury Accord 6MT

yellow top D34 optima battery. front and rear euroR badge. mugen bodykit. black lonsdale boxing mini-gloves. lime air freshner. rockford fosgate decal. snoopy head rests.

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    i will go injen or K&N
    more famous

Just thought I'll mention that Torque is in fact a derivative of Power, so the power curve's gradient at any one point, when plotted, will become the torque curve. So you can mentally picture how the torque distribution and performance of the car from the power curve.

To me anyway, reading a power curve and torque curve has little difference, you can tell instinctively what effects any change in both will have on drive ability, I think!