Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir

Question about high flow cats

if anyone could answer this for me...this dude i know has taken that spider web looking crap out of his high flow cat, and it no longer has any of that crap in there at all...there was a noticable gain of Power he says,lol isnt that like a 10k fine???? if caught ofcourse.
    whats that stuff in the high flow cat in there for anyways????
    cheers.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    thanks,lol so it reduces pollution...Interesting...so it wouldnt make a difference if you removed all that crap in the catalyic convertor or not,is that right?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    If you remove the 'crap' as you say. It will increase performance as you are releiving a restriction.

Also you will be wrecking the environment quicker for you and everyone else for generations to come. Not to mention getting a nice fine as you said when you get caught.

Make sure your 'dude' friend take the right path.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    TRX400EX,TRD 3500S & BT50
    lol id hate to get fined for it :|
    Bwwwwoooommmp

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    lol id hate to get fined for it to....at the same time,i guess it cant be traced, as a cop cant jack the car up and see it for himself,but all of that could be traced back,if an emissions test is done i Suppose.

for the power u gain compare to a heafty fine isnt worth it.
    also the power u gain is not that much for N/A cars.

Member Array
    Car:
    TRX400EX,TRD 3500S & BT50
    Around my area its pretty common for cars to get sent to an RTA checking station where they do general checks for defects over the entire car and demand emissions test/noise level tests in alot of cases.

IMO its not worth running the risk! im sure the possibility of being fined would far out way the smile on your face from the minor hp gains when your vtec'n
    Bwwwwoooommmp

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by fadz View Post
    lol id hate to get fined for it to....at the same time,i guess it cant be traced, as a cop cant jack the car up and see it for himself,but all of that could be traced back,if an emissions test is done i Suppose.
    It is actually suprisingly easy to test. They just stick a gauge into the exhaust and test emissions. For the increase in power it is definetly not worth damaging the environment and/or risking a fine.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    N/A wuldnt be worth it...thats right, his got a turbod car...perhaps a benefit for all the turbo fans lol. :P

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^it's not a benefit to anyone period!!

a high flow metallic cat is more beneficial.. why?
    - They get red hot and burn rich unburnt combustion
    - While burning, it will not shatter during exhaust pop like ceramic cats
    - ignition of the unburnt fuel in the cat will keep the exhaust flow hot
    - hotter exhaust flow = higher combustion gas velocity
    - higher velocity = better scavenging effect of the exhaust system over the cylinders that have just completed the 4th stroke (exhaust cam open and gases being expelled into extractors) while the higher velocity gas in the rest of the system 'pulls' these out.

and yes it is very easy to detect a cat-less car... why?? it smells VERY eggy.... and cops do know this... people should just stop talking the shit and follow the rules. simple!!!

the only place your allowed to be catless is at a race event like drags or track... and msot high performance cars that actually benefit from not having a cat are not road legal and have to be towed to the event anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    T80
    wouldn't getting rid of a resonator would result in the same gains? as you are freeing up restriction + you get a louder sound and if defected it is easy to put back on?
    OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

BRING BACK THE SPOTTED THREAD