Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oil Temp high even after the cooler !!!

I have just installed B&M oil cooler in my car. Today I took the car for a ride and found out at normal driving it will hit 212, and if I drive like hard for 2 minutes it will hit 248 and the red light on my oil temp gauge will flash. How come that the temp raises if I have cooler, is that because I have normal engine oil. 80% of the cooler is installed behind the low down where ther is opening at the bumper where it can get more airflow. I was thinking maybe because I have small hole grill infront of the bumper to protect the AC and radiator from rocks, that it restrict the air flow, or because the remain 20% of the cooler is behind the bumper and doesn't reach any air.

a cooler with no airflow will be the almost the same as a stock engines oil flow .But any open area will dissipate heat ( and cool the liquid inside)
    Did you adjust your oil pressure to compensate for the extra oil volume in the cooler + extra lines ?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    You either have too much pressure loss after installing the oil cooler, or even more likely, there is an air bubble stopping flow in your oil cooler (radiator and line).

BTW, I assume 212 and 248 are in Fahrenheit? If so, 248 F isn't enough to trigger the high oil temp light. That light is probably the oil pressure light.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

There is about 80% airflow to it.
    No I didn't adjust my oil pressure, so why you need that, if the lines aren't that long.

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    a cooler with no airflow will be the almost the same as a stock engines oil flow .But any open area will dissipate heat ( and cool the liquid inside)
    Did you adjust your oil pressure to compensate for the extra oil volume in the cooler + extra lines ?

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    There is about 80% airflow to it.
    No I didn't adjust my oil pressure, so why you need that, if the lines aren't that long.
    ANY increase in oil volume needs you to adjust the oil pressure.
    Basically there is X amount of displacement of oil to compensate for ( the lines , and the cooler all add up)

The increase is little.

Basically there is X amount of displacement of oil to compensate for ( the lines , and the cooler all add up)

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    While I am not familiar with the Jazz motor, 100C (212F) is quite normal for general street driving without a cooler aid. In saying that, a cooler will only decrease temps even if the cooler is in a place of restricted airflow, because of increased surface area and oil heat transfer though the metal core.

Questions:
    What were normal oil temps before the cooler?
    Is the cooler installed correctly?
    Do you know for sure there is oil flow through the cooler?
    Is the cooler installed with a sandwich plate?

Appart from that:
    How big is the cooler?
    What size hoses?

The increase is little.
    And how do you know this? Have you got a oil pressure gauge? My 10 row trust cooler drops 10psi from one side to the other. Without increasing oil pressure you 'can' do harm to your motor.
    Last edited by DLO01; 13-06-2007 at 05:56 PM.
    Deano.

100c that is with cooler. I didn't install the temp gauge only after I installed the cooler. Install is ok 80% of it has air flow on it. I am surre there is oil flow.
    Yes with sandwish plate. the size is small like 4.5" tall, 11" wide and 1.5" thick.
    How do you increase the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    While I am not familiar with the Jazz motor, 100C (212F) is quite normal for general street driving without a cooler aid. In saying that, a cooler will only decrease temps even if the cooler is in a place of restricted airflow, because of increased surface area and oil heat transfer though the metal core.

Questions:
    What were normal oil temps before the cooler?
    Is the cooler installed correctly?
    Do you know for sure there is oil flow through the cooler?
    Is the cooler installed with a sandwich plate?

Appart from that:
    How big is the cooler?
    What size hoses?

And how do you know this? Have you got a oil pressure gauge? My 10 row trust cooler drops 10psi from one side to the other. Without increasing oil pressure you 'can' do harm to your motor.
    Last edited by kimo; 13-06-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    How about you check to see if the oil light isn't signaling oil pressure; not oil temperature

248F isn't all that hot considering that you are thrashing your car
    Keeping in mind that it's only 120C

I mean how did you come to the conclusion that your oil is too hot in the first place?

There is a DIY for increasing oil pressure in the DIY section... Within the first 3 pages
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    100c that is with cooler. I didn't install the temp gauge only after I installed the cooler. Install is ok 80% of it has air flow on it. I am surre there is oil flow.
    Yes with sandwish plate. the size is small like 4.5" tall, 11" wide and 1.5" thick.
    How do you increase the pressure.
    This is how to increase you oil pressure. Its for a B series motor, but would have thought its a simular arrangement for you.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47308

In regard to temps again. Even if you give the car a couple of full throttle applications the oil temp will rise. And while again I am not sure about typical temps for the Jazz I think your findings are quite normal.
    Deano.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Should have asked you this before:

Where is your Oil Temp sensor pumbed in???

In sump?

In sandwhich plate? Which side, before or after cooler?
    Deano.

Because the sensor is made for temp not pressure. In the gauge the red zone starts from 120-150.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    How about you check to see if the oil light isn't signaling oil pressure; not oil temperature

248F isn't all that hot considering that you are thrashing your car
    Keeping in mind that it's only 120C

I mean how did you come to the conclusion that your oil is too hot in the first place?

There is a DIY for increasing oil pressure in the DIY section... Within the first 3 pages