Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...

Engine stalling while driving - Engine light code 15

Hi,

Problem started happening on Friday. Was driving for about 15 minutes then suddenly the car stalled and wouldn't start for another 10 minutes. Then engine would turn, but not start.

I reset the ECU yesterday, thinkin that might help. But the problem re-occurred again. Drove for about 15 minutes, the engine light flashed then the car stalled and did not turn on again for about 10 minutes.

I ran an ECU diagnostics test, and code 15 popped up - Ignition Output Signal.

Ran a few tests from this DIY: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56224

TESTING A COIL

1. Grab your multimeter and put it on the Ohms setting. Measure the Primary Windings resistance between the A and the B terminals, it should be about 0.7 Ohms.

--> Got 1.5/1.6 Ohms

2. Now change your settings to Kohms and measure the Secondary Windings resistance between the A and secondary winding terminal C, it should be about 17 Kohms.
    --> Got 17 Kohms

IGNITION CONTROL MODULE INPUT TEST

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON. Check that there is battery voltage at the wire that came off terminal C and body ground

--> ~12V

3. With the ignition still on check there is battery at the wire that came off terminal B and body ground. If there is no voltage test your coil.

--> ~12V

4. Check for continuity between the wire that came off terminal D and the ECU
    --> ~11V

5. Check for continuity between the wire that came off terminal A and the Tacho
    --> ~9.5V

Not sure what the problem is :S
    According to the DIY it recommends to replace the ICM ($$$)
    However I think there might be a problem with the Ignition Coil due to the 1.5/1.6 Ohms reading

Thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    also performed the "DIY Main PGMFI Relay" check from: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=PGMFI

all solder contacts looked fine, just used a bit of contact cleaner on it before i put it back

ECU check still showing error 15 code
    Last edited by EG_2_TEG; 08-07-2007 at 10:44 PM.

replace the main relay with a known good one , reset your ECU ( important) and see if the code comes up again.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    reset the ECU, switched ignition to on without starting it, and the engine light now stays on
    really doubt that has fixed it, will probably return after a bit of driving imo
    haven't started the car tonite cos i haven't put the rotor back on the dizzy

cheers
    Last edited by EG_2_TEG; 08-07-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Wish for a Teg VTi-R
    It has happened to me before.

Have you checked your dizzy? Mine was a dizzy problem that time.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    My current multimeter doesn't support duty cycle / continuity tests.
    buying a new one today

After putting the main relay back in and resetting the ECU, the problem reoccured when I drove down the road for a few mins. car just cut out and wouldn't start for about 3 mins

Not sure if its the ICM or Ignition coil atm :S

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    your ICM is faulty

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    thanks ECU-MAN

Will let you know how it goes

Member Array
    Car: