Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Question P Platers & Integra Type R

Hi Guys,

An article I was reading by the RACV states the following: "The Type R's high power-to-weight ratio places it on Vicroads' list of cars which can not be driven while on P-plates. Getting insurance on the car for drivers under 25 years old could also be difficult."

Article URL --> http://motoring.racv.com.au/racvm/wh...010000E8961DD1

I have seen many P Platers driving DC2 and DC5 Integra Type R's and was wondering if they have encountered any problems with police, insurance, or VICRoads (for Melbournians).

If you have been pulled over by police etc, have they made a point about driving such a performance car while on your P's, and have they tried to take the matter further?

As someone who has a year left with my P-Plates and is currently looking to buy a DC2 Type R, I am asking for information and experences from the Honda community so as to avoid any potential problems in the future.
    (Responses from people familiar with the laws/regulation in Melbourne will be even more helpful)

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    I'm 24 and used to be from QLD. I couldn't even find insurance for DC5 type R. No one would insure me. I earn good coin, have a squeeky clean driving record and have had my open licence since I was 16 years old. (northern territory )

I could only find insurance for a DC2 type R and it would have been cheaper to insure a BMW. $1400 for DC2 ITR and $1200 for '98 BMW 328is.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    am bu lan
    aww vic seems to be very tough on P platers and stuff but much easier on regOing imported cars?! wtf

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '97 DC4
    I was on my p's (in Vic) when i was looking for a DC2r (about a yr ago), and had no hindrances in getting quotes for insurance... and not one insurance company said they wouldn’t insure me. I was rating 4 (i think u start at rating 6) at the time and RACV quoted me over 4k, AAMI wouldn’t insure me because they direct ppl under 25 to JustCar (which is a subsidiary of AAMI) and JustCar quoted me just over 3k. For a vti-r it was 2.4k and for a gsi it was 1.6k.... its just a fact that young males are more likely to have an accident that anyone else on the road...(ive had 2).

Thanks for the replies guys.

I shouldn't think that there would be a problem with getting insurance as they woouldn't turn durn 2-4 thousand a year from a young driver.

My question is more directed towards whether or not it is legal to drive the Type R while on my P's seeing as though the article states that VicRoads has classified it as too powerful.

It would be a shame to buy a Type R and then have to sell it becuase I would be breaking the law by driving it.

What do you guys think ?

Member Array
    Car:

re

no problems at all if ur type-R is stock~~~

much more problem for a P-plae to drive a stock rex

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 VTiR Teg
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnykos

My question is more directed towards whether or not it is legal to drive the Type R while on my P's seeing as though the article states that VicRoads has classified it as too powerful.

It would be a shame to buy a Type R and then have to sell it becuase I would be breaking the law by driving it.
    Just buy it dude.

when do you get off your P's?..

the fine for driving an overpowered vehicle is quite minimal, its about $105 and no demerrit points.. its the same as driving a manual on an auto licence, not wearing your glasses, etc etc.. i.e breaking a condition of your licence

you are unlikely to get done for it anyway.. and im sure the thrill of owning a type R is worth it, dont u think?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicroads
    Applying to VicRoads for an exemption
    VicRoads may exempt a person from a High Powered Motor Vehicle Restriction on the grounds of 'hardship' provided road safety concerns are taken into consideration. A high powered vehicle exemption can be granted at any time during the probationary period.

If an exemption is issued it will be made conditional for a specified vehicle and may include special conditions such as times and how it is used. This information is included on a Certificate of Exemption (Form F223) which is issued and must be carried by the driver at all times when driving the nominated vehicle.

The following guidelines apply:

The person was the registered owner of a high powered vehicle prior to 1 August 1990. Proof of purchase or ownership must be produced.

The person is the holder of an interstate or overseas licence issued after 1 August 1990 and claims to have driven and owned a high powered vehicle. Proof of ownership required.

The vehicle for which the exemption is sought is the only vehicle owned by the family. This will be confirmed by VicRoads checking its vehicle records.

The vehicle for which the exemption is sought is an employer's vehicle and allowed to be used for social as well as business use and no non high powered vehicle is owned by the family. This will be confirmed by VicRoads checking its vehicle records.
    Say your parents bought it

Member Array
    Car:
    ..(????)..
    ive seen heaps of p plater with car probly ther parent bought the car 4 them
    car that ive seen with pz...[p] on a RX8(CHICK)
    [p] on a r32 GTR (10second car) frewn
    [p] on a GTI-R done up hard
    [p] on a TWIN TURBO SUPRA
    [p] on a s2k
    etc. these people are rich!! n ther only like 17-18 thanks 2 their parents lucky (BA*TARD)

Quote Originally Posted by [XsCaPe]
    Just buy it dude.

when do you get off your P's?..

the fine for driving an overpowered vehicle is quite minimal, its about $105 and no demerrit points.. its the same as driving a manual on an auto licence, not wearing your glasses, etc etc.. i.e breaking a condition of your licence

you are unlikely to get done for it anyway.. and im sure the thrill of owning a type R is worth it, dont u think?
    I have just over a year left to get off my P's.

Just to clarify - are you saying that the $105 fine is a one off or will you get a $105 every time you are pulled over for driving a Type R?

And yes - the thrill of driving a Type R is worth it although you would prefer not having to worry about fines etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by My-B18c
    ive seen heaps of p plater with car probly ther parent bought the car 4 them
    car that ive seen with pz...[p] on a RX8(CHICK)
    [p] on a r32 GTR (10second car) frewn
    [p] on a GTI-R done up hard
    [p] on a TWIN TURBO SUPRA
    [p] on a s2k
    etc. these people are rich!! n ther only like 17-18 thanks 2 their parents lucky (BA*TARD)
    I would say insured under their parents, and listed as secondary drivers for sure. Utherwise, no insurance. Maybe S2K because not turbo import.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytendulkar
    AAMI wouldn’t insure me because they direct ppl under 25 to JustCar (which is a subsidiary of AAMI)
    You are wrong there. I'm only 23 and I'm insured with AAMI.
    JustCar is a subsidiary of AAMI, but they mainly deal with imports.