Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic 99

Possible car write off

Just has a car accident yesterday, driver of other car smashed me from behind. My car is valued at $12500 and the damage to my back bumper and boot are pretty bad. Is it possible that they will write off my car as i heard its hard to repair damages to the boot. I'm insured with AAMI and if they do write off my car, would that give me time to take all my modifieds off? such as mp3, amps, neons, mags, etc? or is it best that i take everything off before i go get it accessed by them.
    I'll try get some pictures up for the damage soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    should take all ur mods off

Member Array
    Car:
    yes, better to take everything out.
    usually when your not at fault, they give you the option of taking your car back

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    x3 take it all out dude

Member Array
    Car:
    '06 VTi + misc.
    it is impossible to tell you if AAMI will write off your car or not without seeing the pix of the damage......

there must be a certain amount of damage before an insurance writes off a car (percentage compared to the total amount insured)
    Quote Originally Posted by duped View Post
    Hahah... Nah sorry, i've got a boyfriend. Sorry Campbell.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic 99
    Would the insurance company wonder or ask about where the mod's have gone? or would they not pay out if its a write off and i've taken all the mod's out?

I'm not sure just heard that its too much work on fixing the damage to the rear especially when the boot is pushed in.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    it really depends how you have insured your car, from what you are saying the car is valued at $12500 including all mods.

if you start taking the parts off prior to the getting the inspection they may void your policy as they may consider you have been lying about what you have on your car.

i guess i need to ask whether you have comprehensive insurance or third part insurance?

as if you have comprehensive then a aami accessor will come out to view the car in which case you should not remove any parts because they will take pictures of the damage to your car and if they notice anything missing or that is difference from your policy they may screw you over on it and void it.

if you are on third party insurance then the other parties insurance company will organise an accessor in which case you can remove parts and so forth, they then will generally ask how much you would want for the car if you were to sell it prior to the accident.

keep in mind the pay out that they give is generally the market value of the car.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    You can take all the mods/accessories off if you want, but if you have noted them on your policy, and the car is deemed a total loss, then they will ask you where all the extras are gone. The reason why they do this is because generally, these extras will add to your sum insured, which is what they will pay you out.

Just a side note, if you haven't noted some of your mods or accessories, i would certainly get rid of them before you go to get it assessed. It is extremely rare that assessors will give you issues on mods and the resulting coverage as a result, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps answer your question...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic 99
    Thanks guys. Yeah i have comprehensive insurance and all the mods are listed on the policy and are what i want to take back and keep. Things such as sound system and mags which i just got 2 weeks ago. These things are all on my policy but the thing is when i notified them of the mag wheels, they didn't increase the agreed value of my car, which isn't really fair if they take it away because its written off.

I was going to take my sound system out and put the original stuff back in and also i'm actually going to get quotes myself from my usual panel beater first before i go to the accessment center.

I have a civic 99 sedan and its in really good shape thats why i feel that if they only pay me $12500 and they take all my mods as well, their just ripping me off and all of my mods i got as gifts and wouldn't want to give it away.
    Last edited by lil4civ; 16-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '06 VTi + misc.
    dont think you'd be able to "go to" your preferred panel shop with AAMI....
    Quote Originally Posted by duped View Post
    Hahah... Nah sorry, i've got a boyfriend. Sorry Campbell.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    you can if you ask for a "driveway" assessment. This requires you to get a quote for at least one AAMI recommended repairer (leaving one from your own place) Go tto the AAMI guy first, get the quote from them, then take it to your own repairer explaining that you want them to get the job and they will usually undercut the few bucks it'll take to get the job.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic 99
    Yeah, I've been through this accident stuff with AAMI before. They let you get the quotes yourself. One has to be a recommend AAMI repairer and another quote either with AAMI or just a random repairer.
    The people that I want to get it done with are AAMI repairers so I think they should be able to get something worked out.
    Just worried bout my mods.