gearbox tapping.

today while i was driving home without the doof doof i realised that when i shift from 1 > 2 > 3 and 4 i can hear some sort of tapping noise everytime i shift.

anyone have an idea of whats goin on there.
    thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9
    do you have a short shiter?

like small "squeek"when you depress the clutch all the way in ? probably release bearing

OR is your car lowered or aftermarket exhaust system , OR aftermarket short shifter ? The shift linkage could be tapping onto the exhaust piping

no short shifter, squeeking is normal i've heard it before. it sounds more like a knocking. im not quite sure how to explain it in words.

did you recently change ur exhaust? cause that could be hittin the linkage under the car.

hmm .. i changed it abt 4 months but i never realised the sound until yesterday. could be ?
    it doesnt happen all the time, think it still could be linkages?

and is there a way to get off that squeeky noise, not like it bothers me or anything just wonderin. thanks
    Last edited by xtat1k; 26-09-2007 at 08:14 PM.

well only way to find out is to throw it on a hoist or jack stands and check under the car.

think ill most likely do that. take it to a mechanic tomorrow.