Thread: Road noise

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz

Exclamation Road noise

I want to reduce the road noise in my car. My car is pretty quiet, but noise from the road and from passing vehicles is annoying.

I heard somewhere that some sort of insulation can be put into the doors (between the door trim and the actual metal door) which would reduce noise. Is that right?

If so, how much would that cost and where can I get in done in Sydney?

Any other ways I can reduce/dampen road noise?
    Check out this website for loads of second hand textbooks (free to join and no commission).

www.textbookexchange.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    other than doing some sound insulation.. maybe try to get a better tire which might help you a little as well!
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin' - EuroAccord13, Mugen88, Adammet04, jamchen, krogoth, yourfather, Sydsyd, Atjo, SiReal, Xplodin

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by jamchen View Post
    other than doing some sound insulation.. maybe try to get a better tire which might help you a little as well!
    Already did that, using Michelin Energy XM1. From my research those are the quietest tyres around.
    Check out this website for loads of second hand textbooks (free to join and no commission).

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla type R / CRV
    i hear wet chinese newspaper is great sound insulation

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    What you need to do is install some sound deadening mats. these mats are made of bitumen and basically stops the metal panels from vibrating.

Dynamat is good, but its expensive.
    Brown Bread also works well but it peels off easily.
    Jaycar sell the same stuff and is actually very good, and cheap as well.

To apply it to the doors, you need to remove the door trim, access the exterior door panel, heat up the bitumen mat, and apply it to the panel.

You can do the same to the floor of the car, but that involves removing the seats and carpet. If you dont want to deaden the whole floor, you can simply lift the side of the carpet up and apply it to the accessible areas under your feet.

Click here for installation videos and info
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...lation&spell=1

Get the Jaycar stuff ftw: CAT. NO. AX3684
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    CVT VTI
    Hi Jazzdude,
    where the Michelin XM1's a lot quiter then the yokohama aspecs? I am thinking of putting th XM1's on as the aspecs are getting very noisy.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    Thanks for the info EuroDude, looks like that's going to be my christmas project. There's a Jaycar close to where I live.

IceJazz, I had Aspecs that came stock, I hated them mainly for their cornering. Then I had to replace two of my tyres and I bought 2 Pirelli Dragon's and put them in the front. These were about the same noise as the Yoko's (not quiet so noisy, but not as quiet as the XM1) but waaaay better handling!

Then when I had to replace the other two Yoko's, I wanted something quiet so I did a bit of research and decided to get the XM1's. And yes, they are the quietest tyres I have used so far. The handling around corners is almost as good as the Dragons (almost).

But I am happy with the XM1's, but the real test is to see how long they last compared to the Pirelli's and the Yokohama's. The Dragon's look better though.

So if you want a quiet tyre, get the Energy XM1.

Hi,

For sound shield, there are other areas that u might wanna to consider to do besides the 4 doors.. like wheelarch area as our ride first contact with e ground is the tyres... then the boot as well... ensure it is a whole piece stick to ur ride door & avoid ur speakers.. hope it helps..

Member Array
    Car:
    CVT VTI
    Jazzdude,
    thanks for your info on the XM1's. Did you find that the ride improved ie. didn't feel the bigger bumps as much. The reason I ask is that they claim that the XM1's have a good ride as well.

cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by icejazz View Post
    Jazzdude,
    thanks for your info on the XM1's. Did you find that the ride improved ie. didn't feel the bigger bumps as much. The reason I ask is that they claim that the XM1's have a good ride as well.

cheers.
    Sorry couldn't get back to you earlier. No, I didn't notice any real difference in the ride, just the noise levels went down a bit. It has a good ride compared to the Yoko's, but not much of a difference in ride between the XM1 and the Dragon.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi-S
    i thought there is spray on under car sound deadening as well......???