Fuel consumption - question

hi guys, any help will be appreciated.

i'm driving a 5AT 2006 lux.

the fuel consumption in my car seemed to have worsened recently. it used to be about 12-13 L/100 for short trips with frequent stop/starts. it's now running closer to 15-16 L/100 for a similar trip.

AFAIK, the only two variables which i've changed was:
    a) using fuel from a different Shell station (although i used the same VPower98)
    b) increasing tyre pressure to 35/33 from 34/32 (higher pressures should improve fuel consumption due to lower rolling resistance?)

fuel consumption on highways (110kmh, cruise control, level road) is now about 6.6-6.8 L/100. i don't know what it was before, but from the postings here, this looks normal.

my driving style is unchanged, so i'm just puzzled why the fuel consumption has worsened over short trips.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mville station + 423 bus
    we have a thread about fuel consumption already you can discuss your problem through there.

in before closed.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro
    you started carrying anything in the boot, by any chance?

no change to boot content or number of passengers, so no real change in car weight...

also, i didn't post this under the main fuel consumption topic coz my question was in relation to changed (and unusual) fuel consumption observations - didn't want to clutter up the other post.
    Last edited by eurofan; 05-10-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    Quote Originally Posted by eurofan View Post
    hi guys, any help will be appreciated.

i'm driving a 5AT 2006 lux.

the fuel consumption in my car seemed to have worsened recently. it used to be about 12-13 L/100 for short trips with frequent stop/starts. it's now running closer to 15-16 L/100 for a similar trip.

AFAIK, the only two variables which i've changed was:
    a) using fuel from a different Shell station (although i used the same VPower98)
    b) increasing tyre pressure to 35/33 from 34/32 (higher pressures should improve fuel consumption due to lower rolling resistance?)

fuel consumption on highways (110kmh, cruise control, level road) is now about 6.6-6.8 L/100. i don't know what it was before, but from the postings here, this looks normal.

my driving style is unchanged, so i'm just puzzled why the fuel consumption has worsened over short trips.
    Too much or too less tyre pressure may contribute to some change in fuel consumption..
    Did you had your car serviced recently?
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin' - EuroAccord13, Mugen88, Adammet04, jamchen, krogoth, yourfather, Sydsyd, Atjo, SiReal, Xplodin

Member Array
    Car:
    06EuroLux6M
    Being a auto with good fuel economy in a higher gear, the logical explanation would be that for some reason the transmission is staying in lower gears for longer, either by a lead foot or a tranny fault.

Does it appear to be revving harder before changing up?
    133.4kw atw
    14.8 - 400m Willowbank

thanks for your comments, guys.

the car feels unchanged - no higher revving, no loss of power, gear changes as normal, etc... if i hadn't been looking at the trip computer, i wouldn't have noticed the fuel consumption increase at all.

the car gets the scheduled service every 6 months. it's been about 3-4 months since the last one, so maybe this could be the cause...

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    We already have a thread on Fuel Consumption.... Post there

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69077

Closed..
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru