Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    97 Integra // 01 e46 BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by onlykillzz View Post
    i have a gsi and i got it cheap but now im looking at performance and i can ether turbo it or get a b18c and do it up so even if you have to wait out a little try and get the vtir. also you get an airbag in the vtir and fat five's
    I got a airbag and fat fives on my 97 GsI lol...

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    DCFOUR
    From a person who has owned both a DC4 and a DC2, the difference in power between them isnt that dramatic..

I can barely feel the difference between my two cars until you hit 6000RPM and even then, the change is fairly minimal.

If your in sydney around my area, give me a call and ill give you a trash around in a DC4, then go drive a DC2.. and tell me the difference

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Hyundai Accent :D
    shall i fly over from WA? haha thanks anyway. I figure that the amount of money i'd have to pay, extra, to get a decent Vtir with around the same km's as the Gsi, about 3-5 grand more, i could make the Gsi "faster/better" than the Vtir anyway...

Just spend bits and pieces here and there.

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Integra // 01 e46 BMW
    do some mods to a GSI and it will feel better

SRI + headers and exhuast for like 300-400

then throw on some parts and your basically sitting with a stock dc2

but for 4 g's less..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Yes ill be going for the full exhaust system, extractors to the tip. This will cost more, but it is best not to do parts than to do the whole gas exit system.

I thought, a mandrel bent exhaust, costs around $600 or something. So looking at like a grand for those mods, which is still 3-4g's less than the Vtir?

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Integra // 01 e46 BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Daynesy View Post
    Yes ill be going for the full exhaust system, extractors to the tip. This will cost more, but it is best not to do parts than to do the whole gas exit system.

I thought, a mandrel bent exhaust, costs around $600 or something. So looking at like a grand for those mods, which is still 3-4g's less than the Vtir?
    dunno dude u can get lucky some times and pick up a secon hand (barley used) exhaust system for like 300 bucks

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    I doubt you'll be able to get a GSI up to stock VTiR power with just some basic mods. Remember, these cars are packaged quite well from the factory. I've been up against a few DC2 VTiRs, and I'm yet to come across a non turbo that's faster than mine, and mine is bog stock. I haven't even changed the suspension or rims.

The VTiR is a great car, but so is the GSI. Really, the VTiR will have it all over a GSI on a track, but for normal day to day driving, how often do you even get to 6500rpm let alone go over it?

As for price, my Integra has not been cheap to maintain. It's a good quality car but don't stretch the budget to buy one. You'll need some money just in case something goes wrong. These cars aren't like Toyotas, you can't abuse the hell out of them and expect them to come back for more. Treat them right and they'll perform fantastically, and love you for it. Treat them badly and you'll get bad treatment right back.
    If you can't afford a VTiR, get a GSI. It's still a great car, and you can sell it and buy a Type R later, or turbocharge the GSI if you like that kinda thing.

By the way the quality of a Honda (or at least a DC2) is WAY over something like a Hyundai. My mother used to have a '92 Excel, and my old crappy '92 Lancer was a MASSIVE step up from that in quality, ride, power, and comfort. And then my '94 DC2 was a MASSIVE step up from the old Lancer in every way possible. Although, I'll wager your Hyundai is nicer than mum's was, but still you get the picture. Honda > Mitsubishi (-EVO) > Hyundai

And those of you who are using DC2 in place of VTiR, you do know that the Type R is also a DC2 right?
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Did i say anything about the old hyundais? Hyundais are solid, day to day driving cars. Mine has about 200 000kms, yet the mechanic says it sounds "awsome" mechanically. They last a long time.

I said the Hyundais in the near future are getting alot better performance wise, just like other companies. So i dont see how the quality of a Honda can be compared to non performance cars like most Hyundais. Im sure if Hyundai wanted to, they could create a great engine, if not better than Vtecs. The 2008 Tiburon will be great to see what they have come up with.

Your saying moding the Gsi with the money extra it would cost to buy a Vtir wouldn't make it better than the Vtir? Or just like exhaust system, intake, ect. ???

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by Shraka View Post
    And those of you who are using DC2 in place of VTiR, you do know that the Type R is also a DC2 right?
    i think most people would refer to it as a DC2R =]

anyways you could always install a vtec head later on when you have the funds, they usually go for about $1500
    i have a gsi only because it was in better condition then any vtir out there, its a 94 gsi and when i bought it about a year ago it had 135000kms on it and was in great condition.

insurance on both cars is pretty much the same, as the vtir has more safety features, like abs.

if you want performance dont get a n/a

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    Did i say anything about the old hyundais? Hyundais are solid, day to day driving cars. Mine has about 200 000kms, yet the mechanic says it sounds "awsome" mechanically. They last a long time.

I said the Hyundais in the near future are getting alot better performance wise, just like other companies. So i dont see how the quality of a Honda can be compared to non performance cars like most Hyundais. Im sure if Hyundai wanted to, they could create a great engine, if not better than Vtecs. The 2008 Tiburon will be great to see what they have come up with.

Your saying moding the Gsi with the money extra it would cost to buy a Vtir wouldn't make it better than the Vtir? Or just like exhaust system, intake, ect. ???

Bye
    I wasn't talking to your point about new Hyundais. And I don't think Hyundai could just come out with an engine better than a Honda engine. Honda has had a LONG time to get their stuff together. The B18C5 and C7 engines were fantastic and other companies are still having trouble developing engines that make as much power for the displacement and price even 10 years on.

And I'm saying exhaust, intake etc wont elevate it to the level of a stock VTiR. As for using the money you saved to make the GSI better... as long as you're sticking with N/A, I dunno about that either. I don't know enough about all the little differences between the two cars to accurately judge that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo6298 View Post
    i think most people would refer to it as a DC2R =]
    The chassis code for a DC2 Type R is still DC2. I don't think it's DC2R, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo6298 View Post
    if you want performance dont get a n/a
    Depends what kind of performance you're after really doesn't it? Are you saying Honda's don't have any performance? 'cuz last time I checked Honda only did Naturally Aspirated cars.
    Last edited by Shraka; 19-10-2007 at 09:24 PM.
    Torino Red '94 DC2 Integra VTi-R :: 96fwkw @7300rpm & 138fwNm @4100rpm :: 0-100 in 7.3 seconds

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    I bet i could make a Gsi better than a Gtir without turboing with 4 grand.

Seeings as Hyundai would have already done that... But ill look at that statement as a current Hyundai to a current Honda motor. Not all cars are performance. Honda make them, Hyundai are starting to make them. "Starting". Im pretty sure Honda would also have more money than Hyundai, as Honda branch off into many other categories aswell, compared to Hyundai that is.

Sorry i just hate people that bag out Hyundai's, as they are good little cars.

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Integra VTi-R
    I bet i could make a Gsi better than a Gtir without turboing with 4 grand.

Seeings as Hyundai would have already done that... But ill look at that statement as a current Hyundai to a current Honda motor. Not all cars are performance. Honda make them, Hyundai are starting to make them. "Starting". Im pretty sure Honda would also have more money than Hyundai, as Honda branch off into many other categories aswell, compared to Hyundai that is.

Sorry i just hate people that bag out Hyundai's, as they are good little cars.
    Okay, well buy a GSI, fix it up and then come to Melbourne and we'll see how it goes against my VTiR. Only way to find out really.

Hyundai has made an 1.8ltr engine to beat the B18C7? And they've packaged it in a car as good as the DC2 Integra Type R? I doubt it somehow.

EDIT: Heh, I just looked up the brand new Tiburon with it's 2.7ltr V6 making a heady* (*= see: Not very good) 123kw and 245nm. That's 2kw less than a VTiR, and 24kw less than the B18C7 with 900ccs worth of extra displacement to play with! As for Torque/ltr, well lets do the math: 245/2.7=90nm/ltr vs. VTiR: 175/1.8=97nm/ltr and JDM Type R: 181/1.8=100nm/ltr. 14 years on, and with almost an extra LITER of displacement, they're still behind the b18C2 for power and torque/ltr, and nowhere near the now 10 year old B18C5/C7.

It also weighs in at a HEFTY 1409kg for the standard and, wait for it, 1770kg for the TS model! Giving it 87kw/ton and 173nm/ton for the standard, and 69kw/t and 138nm/t for the TS... vs the DC2 VTiR with 109kw/ton and 152nm/ton or the JDM Type R with 140kw/ton and 172nm/ton. Something about the package seems uninspiring.

I can't speak for new Hyundais build quality and comfort, and I'm by no means brand elitist, (okay perhaps just a little) but the one I had was tacky, uncomfortable (the seats ESPECIALLY so), noisy, and under powered compared to the Lancer I got later (which had the same displacement, was heavier, and was the same value as the Excel at the time) and nowhere near the DC2 VTiR, which was only 2 years newer.

As for "not all cars are performance", I was talking mostly about build quality, and I never said a Honda didn't have more money, and that their cars and parts weren't more expensive. I actually expressly stated that they ARE more expensive if you read my post.

EDIT: I do respect other performance cars, and manufacturers that make good quality cars in other areas. But from my experience, Hyundai's in the early 90s were cheap tacky crap.

This isn't all about me being blind to anything but Honda either. I'll give credit where it's due. There are lots of great Euro cars, but if I just focus closer to home, I love Toyota's reliability and they make some great engines (4A-GE, 3S-GTE and 2JZ-GTE to name to best). Nissan have lots of cheap power, and half decent basic setups, favoring the RWD setup, which I wish Honda had done (I like RWD, what can I say?) Subaru makes great cars and Mitsubishi, while making a lot of tacky cheap cars, also did a fantastic job on the Evolution. And even when Mitsubishi did cheap cars in the 90s, they did them better than Hyundai. Hell I'll even admit that the new Ford XR6 Turbo is quite a good car! And I usually don't like big Aussie cars at all. The TCS in it is fantastic, and that engine is a monster! A bit big for my taste, but still a great car.

Oh wow... that went on for a while. Sorry about the long post everyone!
    Last edited by Shraka; 19-10-2007 at 10:29 PM.