Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: oil cooler

Member Array
    Car:
    honda

oil cooler

hey guys,
    just a quick question, if i install an oil cooler kit on my em1, do you need a larger oil pump to keep oil pressure up in the engine, im just worried as there are more hoses and such and the oil cooler itself you might loose some oil pressure in the engine =S
    thanks,
    steve

you cant get larger oil pumps.

yes, there are more hoses, and yes, it will drop pressure, and yes it is important to monitor this change when you install your system.

if it drops too much, then you might need to rethink the parts you use, quality and quantity wise...

if you have used quality parts and it still drops too much, you can "shim" the oil pump to provide higher pressure...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

IMO oil pressure should be around 20psi at idle, going up to 70psi by 2500ish then 75-85psi over 3500rpm to redline
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    on a b16 so long as you don't use a big oil cooler it will be fine.
    If you need to you can increase the oil pressure, there is a DIY that you can show you what to do
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    honda
    thanks guys, i just didnt want to cause any damage by installing one and then not having adequate engine oil pressure, thanks for shedding some light on this =]
    cheers,
    steve

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    You should be ok.... Yes depends on how big the oil cooler system.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    I would like to say " she'll be right"...

90% chance it wouldnt drop your pressure that much if its a half decent setup. If you drop too much then just do the washer trick or get the k series oil filter (learnt from tinkerbell)
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    You don't really need an oil cooler on a street car if all you were doing was normal sprited driving and the 1/4 mile at WSID. Unless your car goes to Wakie often and you do over 10 laps at a time, you don't really need the oil cooler.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    You don't really need an oil cooler on a street car if all you were doing was normal sprited driving and the 1/4 mile at WSID. Unless your car goes to Wakie often and you do over 10 laps at a time, you don't really need the oil cooler.

100% agree to the above....

However I wouldnt push it over about 4-5 continuous hard laps in mid summer
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    ^^^ agree.... been mointoring oil temps lately...sometimes i hit 100 degree in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Unless your car goes to Wakie often and you do over 10 laps at a time, you don't really need the oil cooler.
    hmmm, maybe divide you 10 by 2 and you'd be closer... especially on a hot day...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    ^^^ agree.... been mointoring oil temps lately...sometimes i hit 100 degree in traffic.
    measured from sump? take off plate?

i was hitting 125'C on the freeway without oil cooler at 110km/h prior to fitting an oil cooler...

(but that was without the block heat exchanger - like most VTEC engines have)
    B20VTEC - since 2002