Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

McLaren has released Alonso - where will he go? Who will take his place?

Official Statement from http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...02131232.shtml

Fernando Alonso
    “Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win.
    "

"Today’s decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileńa and all the other team Partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future.”

Ron Dennis
    “Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, especially McLaren’s Spanish Partners Banco Santander and Mutua Madrileńa and the team’s title partner Vodafone, want to wish Fernando all the best for the future. He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward."

"We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge.”

Some of the possibilities:

1. Alonso reuniting with his old team Renault, leaving either Fisi into retirement or searching for a drive in one of the B teams. OR a straight swap with Kovalainen moving the young Finn to McLaren.

2. Alonso going to Toyota for the big bucks and perhaps moving them forward up the field with his extra speed, with R Schumi ousted it is another possibility.

3. Alonso to Red Bull Racing, to either partner Webber or Coulthard. Since Webber is managed by Flavio, he might want him back at Renault. OR Alonso to partner his good mate Webber sending Coulthard into retirement. Although both RBR drivers are contracted for 08, what do contracts mean anymore?

4. Alonso to BMW, the team heading towards the top of the podium. Moving Heidfeld to McLaren as he was a McLaren test driver before he got ousted in favour of the new world champ.

5. Alonso to Williams to replace Wurz. Although they may not be able to afford him, probably unlikely.

hmmm, I think he's going back to renault...but you never know...number 4 might come true lol
    blah blah blah

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    if Alonso just wants money then he should try to goto toyota coz i cant see them winning anytime soon. but who knows? maybe with the new rules and regulations of 2008 they might have a winning formula. most likely that he would go back to renault coz hes had a home there before without conflicts and its proven he can win with them.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    I think we all know where Alonso is headed off to... His "Spiritual Home" in my eyes...

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...ong-term-deal/

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    Alonso will go back to Renault, and I think Webber might go to McLaren and Fisi might move to RBR or Toyota (very unlikely), or retire.

Also, the new Indian team hasn't announced their driver lineup yet, so Fisi might move there.
    Check out this website for loads of second hand textbooks (free to join and no commission).

www.textbookexchange.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    2004 Euro Lux
    Good riddance I say.

Jenson Button should have a crack at the No.2 spot at McLaren and make it a truly English Team. He’s never won a race in a Honda I don’t think. hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Prelude 5th Gen
    Stuff Alonso....

BRING BACK MIKA HAKKINEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by rikstar View Post
    Good riddance I say.

Jenson Button should have a crack at the No.2 spot at McLaren and make it a truly English Team. He’s never won a race in a Honda I don’t think. hehe
    He won in Hungary last year.
    Check out this website for loads of second hand textbooks (free to join and no commission).

www.textbookexchange.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    2004 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzdude View Post
    He won in Hungary last year.
    oh yeah he did too. my bad.

lets hope the RA108 is a much better car then the RA107.

it'll be interesting where alonso will end up.. cuz then we can see where the other drivers will go!
    EMpire.ONE

c i v i c - l i z a t i o n

Quote Originally Posted by myh22a View Post
    Stuff Alonso....

BRING BACK MIKA HAKKINEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    THE HAKK!

That would be interesting to see. But its been 7 or 8 yrs since he last raced in a F1 car.

Nooooooo Bingo!