Page 28 of 1751 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138781285281028 ... LastLast
    Any of you FD boys got coilovers? I was intially looking at just getting king springs... but now am considering budget coilovers. Just for street use... perhaps some spirited driving on the street but nothing hardcore.

I don't know much about coilover brands... have done some searches. I've found some "G4 RACING COILOVERS " for 1.4k delivered. Are there any budget (but ok) coilovers for around 1k? I know if I had the dosh I'd get Tein SS or equivalent.. but that'd be around 2k I'd imagine.

Also curious about installation costs if you had it done at a local suspension place.. $150-300?

*EDIT: How about a shock and spring combo for around 1k? I know springs are around 300-400. No idea on shocks tho. I know koni yellows are somewhat recommended.

*Edit # 2: what a joke... I already have member status and my car still hasn't arrived... AAARRRGHH!!! Damn you honda australia! I placed the order before joining here. Should get it by the end of the month.
    Last edited by markCivicVti; 07-11-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimian View Post
    My pedal set are replicas. I dont see why i should pay 4 x more when it does the same thing. The fit is perfect with the replica. In regards the the mugen wing, mine is replica. It fits perfectly (in my eyes anyways) for half the price. What advantages does a genuine wing give over a replica? I find the weight of the wing to be about the same weight as the genuine modulo, or pretty close. But one thing i noticed, when i corner with the mugen spoiler, the car seems to be held down better. Could be psychological??? Btw, i only have a few things replica
    - pedals
    - spoiler
    - grille
    - oil cap
    - mirror cover
    Im sure with the grille and spoiler, there might be a minor difference (advantage) between replica vs genuine. But to me, it fits perfectly, doesnt weigh a tonne and the material is holding the paint together.
    Well I guess it might just be in the head... but from my experience with both replica and genuine wing, I can feel that the genuine wing has more weight at the bottom/sides, and the top bit is quite light... but in the replica, it felt as if the whole thing was about the same, as if they had taken the genuine wing, made a perfect replica mould of it, but not copied any of the engineering/weight distribution/etc... of course it's probably only going to have a marginal effect (if any), but just a thought. Where the difference is far more noticeable is the varying qualities of replica grilles which I've mentioned numerous times on OH!

Anyway no point debating this as I'm not an expert on this.. but I just feel that some parts, it's best to go genuine. That, and I think replica pedals do not add value.

Quote Originally Posted by xenfacta View Post
    yeh he thinks 17s are too small.

with weight savings/benefits of genuine v. replica mugen parts... the only thing i would be worrying about (as with any kit) would be the fit against the bodywork... i dont think theres that much to be gained from genuine mugen cosmetic parts over replicas.. at the suburban/cruise speeds that all these cars will be driven at there would be sweet f.a. in aero difference...

jeff u know i love you but theres not much in it between them... up to the individual

ur wing looks shmick tho
    lols... probably right there john.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sexy
    For the replica kit, as long as its still plastic and not fibreglass then there shouldnt be too much difference.

Coilover.... I wouldnt recommend because of the cost and compromise in ride comfort. The Civic is not a sports car there is no need for coilovers. If you want a lower look just get springs.

Please stop mentioning coilovers on an economy sedan, we are making ourselves look like the accord euro forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JaCe View Post
    Well I guess it might just be in the head... but from my experience with both replica and genuine wing, I can feel that the genuine wing has more weight at the bottom/sides, and the top bit is quite light... but in the replica, it felt as if the whole thing was about the same, as if they had taken the genuine wing, made a perfect replica mould of it, but not copied any of the engineering/weight distribution/etc... of course it's probably only going to have a marginal effect (if any), but just a thought. Where the difference is far more noticeable is the varying qualities of replica grilles which I've mentioned numerous times on OH!

Anyway no point debating this as I'm not an expert on this.. but I just feel that some parts, it's best to go genuine. That, and I think replica pedals do not add value.

lols... probably right there john.

I agree with the grille, there are some dodgy ones out there. But mine is made from ABS and so far so good. Paint hasnt peeled and perfect fitting. Also agree with some parts going genuine such as exhaust and rims. I think the pedal set looks hot. I have the exact same set up as DMX. He has a much better photo of it somewhere on page 13ish in this thread. Pedals fit perfectly and is held strongly. Still gotta drive it at night with my accent lighting and see how the blue lights reflect with my new footrest

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMVTEC View Post
    For the replica kit, as long as its still plastic and

Coilover.... I wouldnt recommend because of the cost and compromise in ride comfort. The Civic is not a sports car there is no need for coilovers. If you want a lower look just get springs.

Please stop mentioning coilovers on an economy sedan, we are making ourselves look like the accord euro forum.
    just say you wanted to slap 20" rims onto a civic? would coilovers be a must? mr amurry said that you would need these...what exactly do they do compared to normal spinrgs and wat do they do over your stock suspension

Quote Originally Posted by IAMVTEC View Post
    For the replica kit, as long as its still plastic and not fibreglass then there shouldnt be too much difference.

Alright I'm done keeping silent when IAMVTEC keeps posting crap.

1. "Don't get coilovers cos it ruins ride comfort".. yet you suggest springs.. riiiight.
    2. Sif get springs you fool if you want to be able to adjust ride height and not be stuck with one ride height.
    3. We're talking about coilovers not freakin airRunners/air suspension.. its not exactly perfomance-only stuff here... get over it.

Other here suggest getting coilovers even if u only want to lower your ride height.. so you don't have to keep buying springs till you get the height you want.. and then when the springs sag you can restart the freakin process again.
    Last edited by markCivicVti; 07-11-2007 at 06:20 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic VTI
    Ladies and Gentlemen.....lets get ready to ruuummmbbbllleeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by markCivicVti View Post
    Alright I'm done keeping silent when IAMVTEC keeps posting crap.

1. "Don't get coilovers cos it ruins ride comfort".. yet you suggest springs.. riiiight.
    2. Sif get springs you fool if you want to be able to adjust ride height and not be stuck with one ride height.
    3. We're talking about coilovers not freakin airRunners/air suspension.. its not exactly perfomance-only stuff here... get over it.

Other here suggest getting coilovers even if u only want to lower your ride height.. so you don't have to keep buying springs till you get the height you want.. and then when the springs sag you can restart the freakin process again.

Gumbi mate, I'm sure 99% of people would agree with me here, if you want to be able to adjust your ride height to acommodate those 20" nicely the best option would be coilovers. Springs will kill your stock suspension.

Also (correct me if I'm wrong), when you lower the car you get negative camber (=bad), but decent coilovers have camber adjustment.. or thats my understanding. Lower your car heaps with springs and your tyres won't last that long.

If you're not gonna be tracking the car you don't need BuddyClub $3k (or whatever) coilovers. But the more you can afford the better. They start from 1k and go up.
    Last edited by markCivicVti; 07-11-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Civic

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shimian View Post
    My latest poison. Footrest to go with my mugen pedals. Sorry for pic quality (crap phone cam)

Will post up full look here later
    Hi Shimian, that looks cool. Did you get it from Singapore? I know they have two styles, one with mugen words on and the other not. I personally agree with Jace, but I am planning to get one as well (no mugen on maybe). Coz this footrest can match with the mugen paddle, and looks more "sporty", better than a black rubber hanging besides the silver paddle.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic VTI
    yeah im a noob...soo any info about coilovers would be helpful

Gumbi mate, I'm sure 99% of people would agree with me here, if you want to be able to adjust your ride height to acommodate those 20" nicely the best option would be coilovers. Springs will kill your stock suspension.

Also (correct me if I'm wrong), when you lower the car you get negative camber (=bad), but decent coilovers have camber adjustment.. or thats my understanding. Lower your car heaps with springs and your tyres won't last that long.

If you're not gonna be tracking the car you don't need BuddyClub $3k (or whatever) coilovers. But the more you can afford the better. They start from 1k and go up.

Quote Originally Posted by tkbuild View Post
    Hi Shimian, that looks cool. Did you get it from Singapore? I know they have two styles, one with mugen words on and the other not. I personally agree with Jace, but I am planning to get one as well (no mugen on maybe). Coz this footrest can match with the mugen paddle, and looks more "sporty", better than a black rubber hanging besides the silver paddle.
    Yes i did get it from singapore. The mugen is etched on the footrest. Much better than the wordless one in my opinion. If you get the wordless one, it will look incomplete and make you feel that something should be in that spot. Cos the gap there is much wider than the rest and it will look out of place

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic FD1

i agree with MR MarkCivicVti, spring alone will kill the stock standard shocks. so coilovers is a better choice..if ur spending $400 on springs why not just go the distance and get some coilover. they start at a price around $1000.
    i know that our civic isnt a sports car but we are just trying to give it a bit of character.
    springs will do the trick now...but wont last.. btw changing springs will still hamper your ride comfort... maybe worst then coilover..
    the stock standard suspension setting is pretty crap....when im turning around corners it feel like im in a boat... so coilover is something i want to do .