Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Yup, I missed out the "not"

I reckon it will still be brighter than halogens, but the light just spills everywhere and blinds oncoming traffic.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Stallion
    Quote Originally Posted by EUR003act View Post
    i think you meant to say ISN'T as good... ?

halogen and HID globes have different focal points... therefore, placing a HID in a housing designed for halogens, will most times actually give you less light on the road, but alot more glare... if you want to do it for the look, then go for it, but you'll sacrifice some output... if you want brighter headlights, try xexon charged phillips 50+ globes...
    Are these philips globes as bright as OEM HIDs? I thinking of getting those instead. Coz aftermarket cheap HIDs give too much drama.

Just wondering, to put those philips globes, do i need to remove front bumper?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by my_vtec77 View Post
    Are these philips globes as bright as OEM HIDs? I thinking of getting those instead. Coz aftermarket cheap HIDs give too much drama.

not as bright as OEM HIDs in the proper HID housing no... but they will be brighter than the stock halogens...

as aaronng said, HIDs in no HID housing will spill light everywhere, you dont get the proper "lighting" half the output will go up into the air

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    No, OEM HIDs are brighter. But, are you going to spend over 1k to get new lux headlights, D2S bulbs and ballast?

No, go through the engine bay. There is a round removable plastic cover behind the headlight.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Mini Cooper, 07 FD1

dont wast your money on them, there are even worse than the stock halogen! u cant see anything at rain!!! with those philips "HID" look bulbs!

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Mini Cooper, 07 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Yup, I missed out the "not"

I reckon it will still be brighter than halogens, but the light just spills everywhere and blinds oncoming traffic.
    not 100% ture, if you had a projector housing, you still got the clear cut off line, you just dont got the autoleveling system, but you can manuel adjusting it, and also not the wash system!

some OEM HID are come in reflector houisng too, the r34 GTR come stock HID on reflector housing, and not all HID installed on reflector housing will spills half of them on the air, most of the reflector houisng come with the little reflecting cap will able to control the reflection of the light. but they still dont have a clear cut off line, and some of the beam pattern are still uncontroable. but unlike if you put HID in some BMW that runing H7 on a reflector housing, since they dont have the little reflecting cap comes with, they do spill half of them on the air, when facing against a wall the beam pattern looks like a big circles....
    Last edited by applio; 13-11-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by applio View Post
    not 100% ture, if you had a projector housing, you still got the clear cut off line, you just dont got the autoleveling system, but you can manuel adjusting it, and also not the wash system!

some OEM HID are come in reflector houisng too, the r34 GTR come stock HID on reflector housing, and not all HID installed on reflector housing will spills half of them on the air, most of the reflector houisng come with the little reflecting cap will able to control the reflection of the light. but they still dont have a clear cut off line, and some of the beam pattern are still uncontroable. but unlike if you put HID in some BMW that runing H7 on a reflector housing, since they dont have the little reflecting cap comes with, they do spill half of them on the air, when facing against a wall the beam pattern looks like a big circles....
    I'm not talking about something as simple as projectors and reflectors. In a projector housing, the lens focal length and distance from the bulb is calculated for a halogen bulb. When you put a HID kit in, the focal length and distance is no longer suitable for the light source. Go pull out the headlights from the base and the lux Euro, they have differences in terms of the distance between the lens and the back of the housing.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Mini Cooper, 07 FD1
    I'm not talking about something as simple as projectors and reflectors. In a projector housing, the lens focal length and distance from the bulb is calculated for a halogen bulb. When you put a HID kit in, the focal length and distance is no longer suitable for the light source. Go pull out the headlights from the base and the lux Euro, they have differences in terms of the distance between the lens and the back of the housing.
    there are screw in the housing for you the adjust the distance up down and wide for the light level

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    there are screw in the housing for you the adjust the distance up down and wide for the light level
    I'm not talking about how high/low or wide/narrow the light is. I'm talking about the focal point. The focal point should be at the point where the bulb's brightest spot is, so that it can project a good coherent beam all the way from near to "infinity" on the other side of the lens.

Bulb brightest point at "f" will project a beam that doesn't converge nor diverge:

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Mini Cooper, 07 FD1
    I'm not talking about how high/low or wide/narrow the light is. I'm talking about the focal point. The focal point should be at the point where the bulb's brightest spot is, so that it can project a good coherent beam all the way from near to "infinity" on the other side of the lens.

Bulb brightest point at "f" will project a beam that doesn't converge nor diverge:
    i know is not perfect, but they still better than the reflector!

and the srew is for you the adjust the light to close to the "f" point!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury

i have never seen an aftermarket HID kit with a focusing screw! every single (ive seen alot!) replacement HID ive ever seen (ie: H4, H1, H3, etc..) has always had the "arc" in a different place the the stock filament... always... doesnt matter whether its a reflector or projector style globe, with the focus point is in a different place to what the housing was designed for you'll get alot of spill and so called "hot spots"

as you can see in the pic below (from my old car) the HID doesnt have the same definition in its pattern, its alot rounder, and theres alot more "glare"

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe

I doubt the screw is able to get the H1 HID bulb to the right location. If you compare a halogen H1 and an HID H1, the halogen is much shorter.