Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    integra jdm conversion

timing belt broke!!

got an si civic 1.6 twin cam D16a8.

driving down the road the timing belt broke.
    didnt hear anything, no crunch or bang...

does anyone no if the pistons fowl the valves???

or is there clearance???

can i just throw a a belt on and everything will be ok?

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    your engine is an interference engine type, ie valves meets piston when cam belt is broken, so I don't fancy your chance of getting away scott free here.

not necessarily. my timing belt broke a while back on my old civic, luckily i was at the lights and i turned the motor off straight away

depends how long you left the motor running after the belt gave away as to how much damage your motor has received

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    just wondering how long over due are you for that big service i.e timing belt, water pump etc...

or was it just premature .
    to you

OzHONDA FTL

Member Array
    Car:
    integra jdm conversion
    old owner said it was changed... and mechanic never checked it... just bad circumstances and bad luck...

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic 7th
    how many kms on the car? what yr is the car?

yeah sorry to say but i also agree with EG30 caus alot of motors these days are made as a interferece type.

About two years ago i snapped a timing belt driving at 30km/h on my d16a3 motor in my 86 integra and my motor shut off straight away.I was lucky and didnt bend any valves i thought i would of caus was told it was a interference motor.But then i guess it between the d16a3 and d16a8 they must of introduced more valve lift with the camshaft profile so that they do run closer to the piston and well interfere if timing blt snaps.
    So thats some knowlegde of mine for you. But if you have time but not alot of money and your knowledgable to intall he belt yourself you could try a belt and tensioner($150 approx) and see how you go and if not sucessful you will have pull it apart again hold on to the t belt and send the head away to get serviced.Not to sure on your chances though.

A head service can cost around $250-300 and maybe around $400 depending on how many valves where bent
    And you will also need a Gasket kit with all your seals and Headgasket for doing the job which is off the top of my head about $150

So you would be looking at around $600 if you take the head off yourself and send it away to get fixed.

You could consider yourself really really lucky if you didnt bend valves.

midori Array
    Car:
    EK4
    last owner of my car had no idea if the timing belt was changed or not.. so i got it changed anyway.
    shouldnt rely on the word of the last owner.

just for peice of mind get it done! costs you $150-$200 now..
    but will save you 1k later.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda civic 7th
    do you have to change it at 100,000 or after x years

reason i ask is that it will take me another 8 years or so to reach 100k, drive about 10k a year and got 25k on my 2005 7th Gen now.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    its whatever comes first as per instructions in your honda manual
    to you

OzHONDA FTL

Member Array
    Car:
    Nissan Micra Type R
    the timing belt broke on my old EG Breeze d13b while driving, luckily there was no internal damage.. take it to a mechanic and they can check it out for ya

Member Array
    Car:
    EGSi,DC2R,ED9
    D13 and D15 series single cam engine non interference design thus valves won't hit piston.

regardless of mileage manufacturers usually recommend belt to be changed every 4 years so even if the car has been sitting in a garage for 4 years with 0kms travelled it should be changed. Don't forget the rubber belt ages as well ie it deterioates with age and thus the belt gets weaker.