Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    definitely do both if possible in anyones budget ~ problem is most people would never even think of changing other parts of the car to make it "faster" , rather than simply get a header/CAI/tune.

Anyone here changed gears themselves too ? (apart from E240) ?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    definitely do both if possible in anyones budget ~ problem is most people would never even think of changing other parts of the car to make it "faster" , rather than simply get a header/CAI/tune.

Anyone here changed gears themselves too ? (apart from E240) ?
    why don't you do it and let us know how it goes since your so anti I/H/E mods. 1/4 mile times will show this.

I've done it on my car changing FD from 3.9-4.4FD and it only help slightly, not my much.

Member Array
    Car:
    id rather not say
    what kinda price are we talking about for I/H/E & Tune and FD+gearset+labour?

cheers in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    dont underestimate the need for a tuned aftermarket ecu to get the whole package working well after your i/h/e etc is on.
    Too many people neglect this but it really makes a huge difference.
    I have been driving my worked b16 around for a couple of days on a stock b16 ecu (testing fuel economy and trying to fix a problem) and it really does feel like a different car,more laggy and not as responsive compared to my tuned hondata s100,its one of the cheapest hondata,but for the street it really is worth it.
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    id rather not say
    this should be a sticky?
    Quote Originally Posted by rawr View Post
    mullets gone bro you've lost all chick attracting powers just give up

Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    why don't you do it and let us know how it goes since your so anti I/H/E mods. 1/4 mile times will show this.

I've done it on my car changing FD from 3.9-4.4FD and it only help slightly, not my much.
    dont worry i will Not FD but gearsets themselves. Its much more fun and a learning process to realise it doesnt take $$$ to make these hondas go decent down the 1/4 or in everyday driving.

BTW lets keep this constructive ~
    Tell us all what other mods you had on the car at the time when you did the FD ?What gearbox ? What engine ?

Again i ask is there anyone here as well who has done a FD or gearset upgrade for their ride ? The idea is you DONT have to spend lots of money on I/H/E and a ecu + tune to get a car moving and performing faster - which is , what this thread essentially is about. More "pull" for less $ spent
    Last edited by bennjamin; 01-01-2008 at 03:36 PM.

there wont be much of a difference, as wat u expect ben...but doesnt hurt to try...
    JDMYard Eg civic lsvtec 1.04:1 WAKEFIELD PARK
    Bel Garage Dc2r/Neptune ecu
    SUPERLAP 2010 clubsprint FF na winner
    1.54.81 street tyre

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Close gear set $1k, Labour to install gearset $600-$1k (depending where you go), free if you do know how to install. Bearing's and syncros changed if worn thats another $500.

So all up around the 2k mark.

I/H/E + tune will equal to around that price. Intake $350-$450 (injen or AEM)/ Exhaust $600 (2.5' headers back), Headers $500-$800 (tri-Y design). ECU and tune (800-1k).
    Last edited by fatboyz39; 01-01-2008 at 05:25 PM.

doing I/H/E tuned is better then just doing gearset..but doing gearset is better then doing cams..
    JDMYard Eg civic lsvtec 1.04:1 WAKEFIELD PARK
    Bel Garage Dc2r/Neptune ecu
    SUPERLAP 2010 clubsprint FF na winner
    1.54.81 street tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    AU XR8 220
    Cheap, Reliable, Power...3 things everyone wants but you can only ever have 2.
    do you want:
    cheap power without being reliable?
    reliable power without being cheap?
    cheap reliable without having lotsa power?

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmTYPE R View Post
    doing I/H/E tuned is better then just doing gearset..but doing gearset is better then doing cams..
    ooft.. that ones debatable... did you mean just the FD or the entire lot?

best to get all done though to have the power bands all synched....

I just realised Camshaft mods are very underrated by most in the Honda community... i also noticed that a lot of people here chase the big duration cams for like 100rpm of dyno queen peak numbers at the top.

If it were me I would do low-mid or mid range powerband cams along with either thinner gasket or flat top valves or both + cam gears to tune for overlap and then get an over-all tune for low-mid or mid-high power.

Cams/gears/gasket or valves is under $1k since ECU+tune is already factored in with the I/H/E i'd just get it all tuned at once which is the plan.

***EDIT***
    i'm saying under $1k coz thats budgeting for OBX Stage 1 or 2 which are billet chromoly copies of Skunk2 1/2

I agree with the post above mine but you can have all 3.. just gotta know where to look....
    Last edited by dsp26; 02-01-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

lets define "shitloads". . . ?

Anway , lets summarize that there is only 1 way to increase "available" torque without spending $1 , and that is weight reduction of both static parts and reducing mass of moving parts IE smaller rims etc.