Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Im not going to disclose who the machinist is as he only deals with certain individuals and or builders as does not want to deal with the ever growing number of wankers that build cars, he does not advertise and has no need to, as it is he is not the quickest at turning parts around nor the cheapest, but the job is spot on and he is very clued up with honda's now due to the relationship with Adrian @ Toda especially sleeving as Darton does do a few things in house that arnt on the install instructions and that was only figured out by inspecting my block when i got it back, he also has experience installing ERL Girdles, as i have 1 fitted my engine.

So in saying that, i can recommend speaking to Adrian about your machining requirements as opposed to sending the block state side, as the cost will be less, and along with dealing with someone who knows honda's, be able to steer you in the right direction as they've done it before unlike yourself i assume.

I assure you this civic running 11's is far from stripped and spun most of the track and your wrong regarding the importance of porting in turbo and n/a applications, not saying porting wont benefit the engine but its not as important hence suggested what i did in my earlier post.

I think that your budget will be lucky to cover all parts and machining and if your serious about running high 9's, you'll have to put alot of work into your chassis set up including weight of the vehicle as thats how most low ET cars getting around now have got the times they have, its not with massive power.

Good luck with your build bud, i look forward to the updates.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
    Im not going to disclose who the machinist is as he only deals with certain individuals and or builders as does not want to deal with the ever growing number of wankers that build cars, he does not advertise and has no need to, as it is he is not the quickest at turning parts around nor the cheapest, but the job is spot on and he is very clued up with honda's now due to the relationship with Adrian @ Toda especially sleeving as Darton does do a few things in house that arnt on the install instructions and that was only figured out by inspecting my block when i got it back, he also has experience installing ERL Girdles, as i have 1 fitted my engine.

So in saying that, i can recommend speaking to Adrian about your machining requirements as opposed to sending the block state side, as the cost will be less, and along with dealing with someone who knows honda's, be able to steer you in the right direction as they've done it before unlike yourself i assume.

I assure you this civic running 11's is far from stripped and spun most of the track and your wrong regarding the importance of porting in turbo and n/a applications, not saying porting wont benefit the engine but its not as important hence suggested what i did in my earlier post.

I think that your budget will be lucky to cover all parts and machining and if your serious about running high 9's, you'll have to put alot of work into your chassis set up including weight of the vehicle as thats how most low ET cars getting around now have got the times they have, its not with massive power.

Has this guy sleeved a very big hp Honda engine yet, i only ask this because i haven't heard of Adrian ever building a big HP Honda capable of running a 9sec pass.. I like the idea of having a block sleeved here in OZ but when i spoke to Golden Eagle last about my B18C they said they will give me a lifetime warranty on sleeves dropping or cracking which is good to know.

It's one thing to know how to put a street motor together and another to build a full race motor. a wheel spinning 11sec car is a street not a racecar.

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    If you guys think machining a Honda engine is a black art, try a Peugeot engine with removable sleeves. I went through 4 so called good machinists until I found the right guys. And they build Ferrari and Lotus engines for what was then Nations Cup cars.

Quote Originally Posted by TAKEN View Post
    Has this guy sleeved a very big hp Honda engine yet, i only ask this because i haven't heard of Adrian ever building a big HP Honda capable of running a 9sec pass.. I like the idea of having a block sleeved here in OZ but when i spoke to Golden Eagle last about my B18C they said they will give me a lifetime warranty on sleeves dropping or cracking which is good to know.

It's one thing to know how to put a street motor together and another to build a full race motor. a wheel spinning 11sec car is a street not a racecar.
    i believe adrian has the capacity to build a 9sec honda, it just comes down to the budget of his customer. MSCHIF was built in a backyard a tuned by CRD, if he lightend his car and set up his chassis better, he could be in the 9's also. Its not rocket science to build quick honda's its how big your wallet is.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG
    Quote Originally Posted by pwr2w8 View Post
    i believe adrian has the capacity to build a 9sec honda, it just comes down to the budget of his customer. MSCHIF was built in a backyard a tuned by CRD, if he lightend his car and set up his chassis better, he could be in the 9's also. Its not rocket science to build quick honda's its how big your wallet is.
    MSTCHF was built by CRD's head mechanic/engine builder who is a relation.. big difference!! i would like to see some people try to run 9's just to see how hard it really is to set up a good chassis.. I don't doubt that someone like Adrian is capable of building a engine to run 9's, but this thread is about block sleeving and if someone has not built a 9sec engine yet then how is anyone supposed to have full faith in what they are buying.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaz View Post

What a contridiction.

First you say Australia has the capacity of building such a block, but then go onto say that it only because of what was stolen(??) from a built US block.

Then you go onto say that that its such a black art that its so secret and if u want it done, you have to nuthug an arrogent pr*ck. **e240 Edit: I told you to check your sources - But I don't disagree that while we do have some very good engine builders, Australia overall does lag behind in some of the build capabilities, even to the SEA countries.**. All this secrecy is what makes australia so bland and so outragiously lagging behind the rest of the world. Over in PR you have 9second hondas running cast pistons and stock sleeves.

Next you say that it will be quicker then importing a block from the states (which you already recognise as being superior in every way to anything an aussie machinest can build). But you comment that this machinest is soo special and sooooo clued up, that he will take his time and

First you say it will be cheaper and quicker in australia (which is bullsh*t) then you say that he is "not the quickest at turning parts over" cause he take so much care. And you say his current budget will not cover machining.

Thanks for proving all my points. First that the only high-po capable blocks are from the states. These guys are the innovators. All australian builder can do is copy, and copy badly. You dont see a Adrian spec re-inforced billet girdle, do you?? You dont see dynodave superdeck 3 sleeves. I think the closest company downunder that does anything to contribute to the world wide development of honda's is Hypertune with there super sexy CNC machines and computer mandrel benders. I know these guys supply Full-race with a decent amount of gear.

I guess my last point is, instead of supporting the copy-cats, support the innovators. Support the guys who have the repuation. Would you run a xs-power manifold on your 9second beast? Sure it might do the job, but chances are you will be left holding your balls when it doesnt.

(PS. I cant wait for a shop to use an alias (Slaz??) and try and de-bunk me. Just like most of ozh, no one has the balls to stand up.)
    **e240 Comment: Slaz is not an alias to any shop. I know cause I've met him and bought stuff off him**
    Last edited by e240; 18-01-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Edited line makes allegations but withholds other relevant information to suit own purpose.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEN View Post
    MSTCHF was built by CRD's head mechanic/engine builder who is a relation.. big difference!! i would like to see some people try to run 9's just to see how hard it really is to set up a good chassis.. I don't doubt that someone like Adrian is capable of building a engine to run 9's, but this thread is about block sleeving and if someone has not built a 9sec engine yet then how is anyone supposed to have full faith in what they are buying.
    +1

All talk baby. All talk. Chassis setup is another good point. We have seen a few honda's trap enough for very low 10's, maybe even 9's (american built blocks). But chassis is never there to support it.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.ph...&hilit=9second

a SOHC running faster then what any shop here can do. Talk talk talk. Built in a guys backyard.

Member Array
    Car:
    ( . )_( . )
    weq, pm sent dude... anway i would like to know what machine shops are used here in the best of the best australian builds? im not considering running stock sleeves and a half arsed build.

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    Weq

A major factor here in Australia is the cost compared to the Yanks and availability of parts. It is so much easier over there to do everything. And remember, their poulation is so much bigger than ours so they are always going to have many many more decent cars. This all leads to noone really giving it a proper crack here in Aus other than the Online/EXQZIT car and Online's own Del Sol.

Since your picking cars out how about a non Honda like Robert Benk's "Backyarder" Corolla. Mid 9's with a 1.6L engine.

The US mentality is to throw a bundle of cash at a car with all the good bits and hope it goes fast. Here in Aus we do much more "in-house" R&D and spend our money much more wisely. I much prefer our attitude as it does mean that we end up with much more variety in setups. The follow the leader "bling parts" method is boring. Of course the basics of an engine setup will be the same but its the finer details that make the difference.

Unfortunately the Honda scene here in Aus is dominated by the "follow the leader" mentality. Noone seems to want to be different. Its the same old same old. Thats what is holding us back. There are some who are going outside the square but not many.

Look at the aftermarket ECU's available here. The choice the average Joe has here is much greater than what is in the US. Thats why a number of our Australian ECU companies have taken up the challenge and started distributing there with much success.

So what has this to do with machinists. Well the same applies. We have many great machinists here that have worked on engines of all types, including those that are similar in nature to a Honda engine. But, the attitude showing here is that they can't machine a Honda engine because it is so "special". Now, the fact they may have machined a 1000hp NA BBC in the past that has used Darton sleeves should give you some idea they know what they are doing. And there are tonnes of these guys around. The only potential problem is with the torque plate. Maybe they don't have the right one and don't want to make up one to suit.

Give it a few years and I think things will be very different though in all respects.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EG
    I think you will find that the cars who trap 140+ already run 9's, everyone else is quite a way off that.

Quote Originally Posted by Weq View Post
    +1

All talk baby. All talk. Chassis setup is another good point. We have seen a few honda's trap enough for very low 10's, maybe even 9's (american built blocks). But chassis is never there to support it.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    weqsta...

funny you talk about hypertune man! i picked up a autosalon mag in a shop today.. flicked through the pages and found a black ek civic hatch.. running 500whp from a 1600cc b16a running 11.4, was the doods company car, has anyone ever seen this?
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation