Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    well this "HID is illegal" rules is almost too vague!!! I know a person who got his car deffected but from the "list" of items that the police give him, his 10,000 K HID is not on the list!!! also, My bro has a 8,000L HID installed on his civic for more than 5 years already, got caught speeding, RBT, etc etc but not even a single comment on the HID!!!

What I want to do here is to install the AE because I like the look of it, but dont want to spend $$ for the HID kit (you have to be cheapo if you want to get married in a few months!!!).

Bye2 Honda... Hello Mazda family

Quote Originally Posted by wynode View Post
    I think you've go a bit confused!

Xenon gas filled bulbs and HIDs are one and the same thing. They do not have a fillament like halogen-tungsten bulbs.

Xenon gas filled HIDs run cooler than traditional halogen-tungsten bulbs.

From a legal point of view.......it is not worth it IMO to fit the washers and self leveling unless the car you have has that as an option (even then it will be $$$). Don't forget that it is not just the self leveling motor but also the sensor you need to install which actuates the motor.
    umm nooooo, you can buy xenon gas filled halogen bulbs which are totally different to HIDs. you are right HIDs run cooler than halogens, but we aren't talking about HIDs running hotter, it is the xenon gas filled halogen bulbs that run hotter.

as for the legal point of view, you cant put together your own HID system using different parts and it be legal, even if it inclused a self levelling or washer system. it needs to be passed by the ADR peeps and that will take a lot of testing and other shite (like taking ur car to canberra) and no guarantee it will conform to their rules.
    Last edited by wilkie; 18-01-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by denot View Post
    well this "HID is illegal" rules is almost too vague!!! I know a person who got his car deffected but from the "list" of items that the police give him, his 10,000 K HID is not on the list!!! also, My bro has a 8,000L HID installed on his civic for more than 5 years already, got caught speeding, RBT, etc etc but not even a single comment on the HID!!!

What I want to do here is to install the AE because I like the look of it, but dont want to spend $$ for the HID kit (you have to be cheapo if you want to get married in a few months!!!).
    denot, cops don't really bust people for them that often cos they are aimed down and cops are dumb pigs who don't know which cars come with them stock anyway, so can't risk pulling someone over for something that might actually not be illegal (unless they are blinding people or purple etc). ur right it is way too vague, i rang my ever so helpful road and traffic authority to find out if i could install HIDs and he told me to go to university for 7 years, get a law degree then go fight the ADR for my right to self installed HIDs.

that's fair enough about what ur after (though u might wanna spend up big on what YOU want now, wifey ain'g gonna let you spend your money on what you want after ur hitched :P) so i would suggest go with the angel eyes and use normal halogens, if they aren't bright enough, save up for HIDs cos they are well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
    i would suggest go with the angel eyes and use normal halogens, if they aren't bright enough, save up for HIDs cos they are well worth it.
    or pm you and buy the AE + HID off you?

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode View Post
    I think you've go a bit confused!
    Acutally HID lights are technically called Metal Halide Discharge, and the Xenon is just there to improve initial start performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlig...nd_bi-xenon.29

Real Xenon lamps - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp

or pm you and buy the AE + HID off you?
    lol or that :P

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
    umm nooooo, you can buy xenon gas filled halogen bulbs which are totally different to HIDs. you are right HIDs run cooler than halogens, but we aren't talking about HIDs running hotter, it is the xenon gas filled halogen bulbs that run hotter.
    Got a link? Didn't know they used both Xenon and Halogen.

Quote Originally Posted by one4spl View Post
    Acutally HID lights are technically called Metal Halide Discharge, and the Xenon is just there to improve initial start performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlig...nd_bi-xenon.29

Real Xenon lamps - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp
    No offence but anyone can throw in Wikipedia links. Need to explain it a bit more.

There are essentially two types of light sources used in cars now a days and when I say "HID" I am reffering to a light source created by an electic arc within a gas, as opposed to that created by a filament (incandescent lamps).
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    2005 Accord Euro Luxury
    Well, my point was that none of the bulbs in a car are really xenon... and that all uses, either for HIDs or incandescent bulbs, are wrong. technically.

just google it about the heat wynode...i dont wanna throw in wikipedia links

Meh... i think I started this Xenon vs HID thingy... anyway, when I mention HID, what I mean is the HID kits (not only the bulb) which can reach more than 5,000K and when I mention Xenon bulb, what I mean is just the Xenon bulb (e.g. Philips Blue vision, etc) that cant reach beyond 5,000K.

well... that is what I mean when I say "I want to install AE + Xenon only (not the HID)"

Meh... i think I started this Xenon vs HID thingy... anyway, when I mention HID, what I mean is the HID kits (not only the bulb) which can reach more than 5,000K and when I mention Xenon bulb, what I mean is just the Xenon bulb (e.g. Philips Blue vision, etc) that cant reach beyond 5,000K.

well... that is what I mean when I say "I want to install AE + Xenon only (not the HID)"
    yeh figured that ^_^...i still say save up for HID :P xenon bulbs are still pretty bright tho so if u want to get both together, get the bulbs